Exfoliate Dead Skin Cells
Exfoliation also works wonders in preventing skin dryness. This process can help in removing dead skin cells, thereby ensuring that the skin beneath your beard remains healthy and well-moisturized.
You can use a special beard scrub for exfoliation. Do it once or twice every month. Make sure that you also invest in a stiff beard brush as it can also help in exfoliating dead skin cells. Just make sure to use it every day to make it work for that purpose.
Dont Hesitate To Seek Medical Treatment For Seriously Irritated Skin
Dry skin may be a sign of something more serious, like eczema or psoriasis, according to Harvard Health Publishing. See a board-certified dermatologist if you have one or more of the following symptoms, says Dr. ODonoghue:
- Your skin doesnt improve in spite of your best efforts.
- Dryness and itching are severe enough to keep you awake at night.
- You have open sores or infections from scratching.
- You have large areas of scaling or peeling skin.
Additional reporting by Steve Horowitz.
Consider Combination Therapies For Chronic Itchy Skin
Depending on the cause of your itchy skin, you may benefit from using more than one treatment. This may be especially needed in cases of chronic itching.
For example, chronic itchiness related to skin conditions like eczema may benefit from colloidal oatmeal baths, topical emollients, and anti-itch creams.
Before using a combination of therapies, be sure to talk with your doctor.
Additionally, certain lifestyle changes can also help relieve itchy skin. Consider the following:
- Wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid trapping moisture in your skin.
- Wear natural fabrics, like cotton.
- Avoid extreme changes in temperatures, especially during the summer and winter months. Keep your house cool and humid, respectively.
- Use lukewarm water while bathing, and avoid hot tubs.
- Manage stress as much as possible. Stress can increase skin inflammation and itchiness.
- in addition to using fragrance-free lotions, make sure that your soaps and detergents are fragrance-free, too
You May Like: Does Basal Cell Carcinoma Hurt
How Can I Stop The Skin Under My Beard From Peeling
The skin under your beard may also start peeling because of excessive dryness. Fortunately, you can deal with that problem through simple solutions and steps. One solution is the use of a facial scrub two times every week. You just have to apply the scrub over the beard area to get rid of dead skin cells and flakes and release ingrown hairs.
Another tip is to keep the skin under your beard well-hydrated with the help of a moisturizer, conditioner, or beard oil. Regardless of the product you decided to use you have to ensure that you massage it gently to the area to guarantee full and proper coverage. These solutions can surely do a great job of ensuring that your skin does not peel.
Best Products For Dry Itchy Skin On Your Face
It may seem obvious, but if you’re suffering from dry, itchy skin on your face, moisturizing often is key. “Applying cream after a shower will lock in moisturizer,” says Dr. Jaliman. “Don’t skip the nighttime application, as this is when it will penetrate skin more efficiently.”
When shopping for new skin-care products, look for ingredients like colloidal oatmeal, shea butter, hyaluronic acid, squalene, glycerin, and jojoba oil. Moisture-rich formulas with these ingredients “will keep your skin supple and hydrated,” says Dr. Jaliman.
You’ll also want to take a careful look at the products that are already in your medicine cabinet. Dr. Zeichner suggests avoiding harsh soaps and being careful not to overuse exfoliating ingredients, which can actually lead to more irritation. “If you see dry, flaky skin, rather than exfoliating first, listen to what your skin needs and apply a moisturizer,” he says. “After moisturizing, if you still see flakes, then it’s okay to exfoliate.”
Read Also: What Is The Most Common Form Of Skin Cancer
Tight Clothing Or Chafing
If tight clothes are constantly worn around the genital area, they can chafe or rub against the skin, and lead to dryness. Tight underwear can also lead to a buildup of moisture under your foreskin, which can be a breeding ground for fungus and increase the chance of an infection.
Wear soft, supportive cotton underwear, and looser clothing in light, breathable fabrics.
What Remedies Should You Avoid
There are some remedies that may seem like a good idea but should be avoided in favor of any of the remedies listed above.
Moisturizers with fragrances
As Dr. Khetarpal pointed out, fragrances and dyes in moisturizers can cause more irritation for some than soothing those dry, itchy patches.
While aloe vera can be soothing for sunburns, you shouldnt rely on it for dry, itchy skin. It generally has fragrances and preservatives for a longer shelf life that can cause more trouble, says Dr. Khetarpal. And theres not a lot of scientific data that shows it actually helps itchy skin. Its more for temporary relief for sunburns.
Apple cider vinegar
While you may come across apple cider vinegar as a potential home remedy in web searches, its one to avoid, says Dr. Khetarpal. Vinegar is acidic and can actually make things a lot worse
Also Check: What Is Squamous Cell Carcinoma In Situ
Stop Using Facial Soap
It is just a habit that guys will use the same bar of facial soap on their beards because they use it all over their bodies anyway.
The truth here is that your face has undergone changes since growing the beard, and using a cheap bar of soap can dry out the skin under the beard and lead to flaking issues.
Your shampoo should contain essential vitamins usually contained in popular dandruff shampoos. These shampoos will moisturize the beard and skin below, eliminating your itch and reducing those flakes.
Use An Otc Hydrocortisone Cream
If your dry skin is especially itchy or irritated, you may want to consider applying an over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream or ointment to the affected area after using a cold compress.
Hydrocortisone creams come in different strengths. For the milder strengths, you dont need a prescription. You can find these creams at your local drugstore or online. For stronger strengths, youll need a prescription from your doctor.
Be sure to follow the directions on the product when applying the cream. You can combine this treatment with a moisturizer. First apply the hydrocortisone cream and then add the moisturizer on top.
Recommended Reading: What Does Merkel Cell Carcinoma Look Like
Is It Possible To Prevent Dry Skin
To prevent skin from drying out, it may be helpful to humidify the indoor environment, especially during the drier, winter months. Sometimes decreasing the bathing frequency and avoiding strong soaps, and decreasing exposure to detergents also may help improve dry skin. Harsh cleansers can strip away the natural oils and sebum from the skin. Limiting exposure to irritants such as solvents and wool clothing can prevent the dry skin condition from worsening.
- Avoid strong soaps and detergents.
- Use indoor room humidifiers.
How Is Itchy Skin Treated
The treatment of itchy skin depends on what is causing it. Your doctor may need to take a skin biopsy, blood, urine or stool samples, or order some radiology tests to diagnose the cause.
If you have itchy skin, here are some things that may help:
- Try not to scratch the area. The more you scratch, the more the skin will itch.
- Keep your nails short to prevent breaking the skin if you do scratch.
- A cool bath or shower may help provide short-term relief, but excessive showering or bathing may make it worse.
- After a bath or shower gently pat yourself dry with a clean towel. Do not rub or use the towel to scratch yourself.
- Do not use any soaps, shower gels or foam bath products as they can dry the skin and make the itching worse. Use a soap-free wash.
- Use moisturiser all over the skin at least 2 times a day, and more often if the skin feels dry. You can buy cooling moisturisers that contain menthol to soothe the itch.
- Try to wear loose cotton clothing which can help prevent you overheating and making the itch worse. Avoid fabrics which irritate your skin like wool or scratchy fabrics.
- Reducing stress and considering meditation, yoga, hypnosis or exercise can be helpful.
Your pharmacist may be able to recommend some products which can help with itchy skin.
Read Also: How Do You Feel When You Have Skin Cancer
Excess Sebum Oil Production
If you are experiencing flaky skin around the nose, it could be because of extra sebum oil production on your skin. Our chief dermatologist Dr. Harish Koutam says, The combination of excess sebum oil production and dead skin cells is the primary reason for dry and flaky skin around your nose. Niacinamide preparations are helpful in treating dryness.
What Causes Dry Skin
A lack of moisture within the layers of your skin causes dry skin. Factors that cause dry skin include:
- Age: As you age, your skins moisture-producing oil glands dry up. This causes the fat and collagen in your skin to also dry up, which leads to thinning skin. This is a natural part of your bodys aging process.
- Climate: The temperature of your environment can affect your skins hydration. Climates that lack humidity like desert-like climates or cold climates where theres heavy wind cause dry skin. Dry skin is often worse during the winter, but dry skin can occur year-round.
- Health conditions and genetics: You could be more at risk of getting dry skin if youre born with genes that make you more prone to it or you have a health condition that causes dry skin as a symptom. Some conditions that lead to dry skin include allergies, eczema, diabetes and kidney disease.
- Occupations: Certain professions can lead to dry skin, especially if you work outdoors, with chemicals or wash your hands frequently. Some professions that make you more likely to develop dry skin include healthcare providers, hairstylists and farmers.
Read Also: How Do You Get Basal Cell Carcinoma
Moisturize Directly After You Shower
Worden says the best time to moisturize is while your skin is still damp after bathing. “After your shower, pat your skin instead of rubbing it dry,” she adds, saying that doing so will keep more moisture on the skin so that when you apply your moisturizer, it locks in that moisture and prevents transepidermal water loss and, therefore, hydrates your skin.
Due To Allergic Reaction
People have different body reactions to certain things. For some people, they have an allergic reaction to certain beauty products or even nickel ear rings which can lead to itchy dry skin in ears, which in turn leads to excessive itching that causes reddening of the ear lobe and even pain in the ear cartilage.
Also Check: Is Squamous Cell Carcinoma Dangerous
Treating Dry Itchy Skin
If dry skin has left you with small, itchy areas on your body, an over-the-counter anti-itch cream or ointment containing 1% hydrocortisone may offer some relief. Hydrocortisone is a type of steroid medicine that helps reduce itching, redness, and swelling.
If you have extreme itchiness, see a doctor. You may need a prescription for a stronger type of hydrocortisone or other steroid. Your doctor may refer to these products as topical corticosteroids. Topical means you put it on your skin.
Does Dry Skin Cause Winter Itch
Winter itch is a common name for the skin symptom of generalized itching in the winter. It is primarily caused by dry skin and is most common in the elderly. Winter itch caused by dry skin may also be seen in those with a history of eczema. External factors, including cold temperatures, low humidity, and the use of central heat, tend to worsen dry skin during the winter season. Therefore, some people refer to the condition of dry skin in the winter as a “winter itch.”
Also Check: What Do Skin Cancer Bumps Look Like
How Do Healthcare Professionals Diagnose Dry Skin
Generally, dry skin can be easily diagnosed when the physician visually inspects the skin. While dry skin can appear on any type of skin at any age, the elderly and individuals who frequently expose their skin to soaps or detergents are more prone to developing this condition. In addition, a thorough medical history and review of the family history can help support the diagnosis of dry skin. Based on the medical history, other medical conditions may be ruled out or considered. In more difficult cases, a skin biopsy may be helpful to confirm the diagnosis and direct the treatment plan.
Moisturize With The Right Ingredients
According to Dr. King, moisturizers need to contain three components: humectants, emollients, and occlusives.
- Humectant substances have a low molecular weight that draws water and moisture into the skin. Common humectants you might’ve heard of are hyaluronic acid and glycerin.
- Emollients help support skin barrier function and improve overall texture and appearance, explains Dr. King. “Examples include cholesterol, squalane, fatty acids, fatty alcohols, and ceramides,” she says.
- Occlusives are oils and waxes, which form a barrier on the skin to prevent transepidermal water loss, which is when much-needed moisture escapes our skin and goes into the air. Occlusive ingredients include petrolatum, beeswax, mineral oil, silicones, lanolin, and zinc oxide.
When choosing a moisturizer for dry, itchy skin, Dr. King says to look for formulas that contain all three components, such as the CeraVe Moisturizing Cream as it’s suitable for all skin types and can be used on your face and body.
Also Check: What Does Skin Cancer Look Like On Shoulder
Changing Your Skin Care Routine
Watch What Touches Your Skin
If possible, try to use laundry detergents that are formulated for sensitive skin. These detergents are typically gentler on your skin and less likely to cause irritation.
When choosing clothes, stay away from scratchy fabrics like wool. Fabrics like cotton and silk allow your skin to breathe, which makes them a good choice for both clothing and bed linens.
You May Like: What Are The Effects Of Skin Cancer
When Does Itchy Skin Become A Serious Problem
At what point does is your itchy skin, though, the sign of something more serious? For Dr. Khetarpal, these symptoms are definitely worth speaking to your doctor about.
- Generalized itching: if your itching is felt all over not just in specific spots and felt at all times regardless of the season or time of day.
- Extended itching: if its been more than four weeks of trying these home remedies and theres still not relief.
- Visible rash: if your rash is red and scaly, more than just dry skin.
- Bleeding and pain: if your skin is cracked and bleeding and causing enough pain to wake up during the night.
If youre experiencing one or more of these, reach out to your healthcare provider as soon as possible.
Two Solutions Involving Moisture
Dry and itchy skin is an all-year round grooming and skincare problem. Whether youve found a good skincare regimen or not , you will often find yourself dealing with dry and itchy skin. Even though this is a more common problem in cold weather, you can find yourself facing a similar predicament even in the summer. Its still a little hard to figure out how to avoid this situation, but there are definitely multiple things that you can do in order to get rid of dry skin and itchiness also note that dry and dehydrated skin are totally different.
Also Check: What Is Melanoma In Situ Mean
Treatment Of Dry Skin
An important aspect of treatment is to identify and tackle any factors that may be contributing to the dry skin. Water alone can actually worsen the problem of dry skin by removing the normal, protective skin oils. Hot, soapy water depletes the natural skin oils to the greatest degree. Water followed by the application of a thick moisturizer, is of great benefit for dry skin.