Possible Complications Of Prolonged Itching
Severe or prolonged episodes of itching can lead to the following complications:
- As itchiness tends to be more intense at night, it can leave you utterly sleep-deprived over time.
- When you continue to scratch the itchy skin for an extended period, the tissue may rupture and subsequently become infected.
- Frequent and excessive scratching causes a great deal of friction, which can potentially damage the skin tissue and lead to scarring, thickening, or discoloration of the affected skin.
- The constant scratching of the head due to excessively itchy scalp may result in increased dandruff or flakiness of the skin, head bumps, and hair loss.
Itchy Irritated Skin: What’s Happening Inside Your Body
Itching occurs when nerve fibers in the skin send a message to the brain.
It may be caused by a local reaction to a substance or a systemic disease that triggers widespread itchiness. In some cases, the cause may be psychological or even unknown .
Regardless of the cause, with itchiness comes a desire to scratch which often makes an itch worse . This is called the itch-scratch cycle and is an important consideration in treating pruritis.
In addition to whatever causes an itch in the first place, scratching can often lead to even more itching . This is the “scratch-itch cycle” and is essential in treating the itchno matter the underlying cause.
Pain and itching are closely related sensations. In fact, the same nerves send both signals to the brain. The urge to scratch is actually a reflex response to this signal.
Tips For Healthy Skin
The following are some tips to keep your skin healthy:
- Excessive exposure to sunlight can lead to sun tan or wrinkles. Hence, use sunscreen every day, even if you are indoors to prevent skin damage.
- Lack of water content in the body can lead to skin inflammation, blemishes, aging, dehydration and so on. Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to keep your skin hydrated and plump.
- Cleansing helps remove excess dirt, opens up clogged pores, and gets rid of pollutants from the skin. Massage your skin gently for about 20 minutes with a skin care product that suits your skin.
- Eating healthy foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals like spinach, salmon, almonds, and berries can boost your immune system and also improve the texture or quality of your skin.
- Skin exfoliation removes dirt and helps in reducing the appearance of wrinkles. It helps promote the process of skin renewal, thereby making the skin healthy and fresh. Therefore, make sure to exfoliate your skin daily to improve overall skin texture.
Recommended Reading: What Do They Do If You Have Skin Cancer
Dog Itching Medication Your Vet Might Recommend
These are some of the popular medications recommended to treat the symptoms of allergies of the itchy kind:
Your veterinarian will be able to assess whether a certain medication is safe for each individual dog. They will talk you through the recommended dosage, side-effects, and what the signs of a potential adverse reaction to the medication are.
Honest Paws Restore Cbd Dog Treats
Their digestive health sometimes fails them causing them to be nauseous or unable to eat certain foods. They might be allergic or have skin allergies with dry, itchy skin. Their coats become a little dry due to the fleas and ticks.
If your dog does or has anything of the above, consider Honest Paws Restore CBD Dog Treats.
With these delicious treats, your pooch has a fighting chance to feel good and lead a happier life.
Besides, most pet owners claim they would die for their dog so surely they will do anything in their power to ease their pain.
- Regularly brushing your dog
Read Also: How Bad Is Basal Cell Carcinoma
Warning Signs That Your Itch May Be Serious
If the pruritus is accompanied by other distressing symptoms, a more serious underlying condition may be present, which may need prompt medical attention.
- Excessive thirst, sudden weight loss, and an unusually frequent urge to pee can be symptomatic of diabetes.
- Unusual fatigue, weakness, numbness, or a tingling sensation in your skin along with the itchiness may indicate a nervous system disorder.
- Abdominal pain or yellowing of the eyes and skin can signal a liver or gallbladder ailment when presented with itchy skin.
- Itchy skin accompanied by unexplained weight loss, feelings of exhaustion, and night sweats may be due to a serious underlying infection or a tumor.
Is Itchy Skin Normal
Yes, itchy skin is normal. Everybody experiences itchy skin at some point during their life. However, if the itchiness is occurring all over your body, does not get relieved with self-care remedies, and persists, it may indicate something serious. In such cases, you need to contact your healthcare provider.2
You May Like: Can You Die From Skin Cancer On The Face
How Is Itchy Skin Treated
The treatment of itchy skin depends on what is causing it. Your doctor may need to take a skin biopsy, blood, urine or stool samples, or order some radiology tests to diagnose the cause.
If you have itchy skin, here are some things that may help:
- Try not to scratch the area. The more you scratch, the more the skin will itch.
- Keep your nails short to prevent breaking the skin if you do scratch.
- A cool bath or shower may help provide short-term relief, but excessive showering or bathing may make it worse.
- After a bath or shower gently pat yourself dry with a clean towel. Do not rub or use the towel to scratch yourself.
- Do not use any soaps, shower gels or foam bath products as they can dry the skin and make the itching worse. Use a soap-free wash.
- Use moisturiser all over the skin at least 2 times a day, and more often if the skin feels dry. You can buy cooling moisturisers that contain menthol to soothe the itch.
- Try to wear loose cotton clothing which can help prevent you overheating and making the itch worse. Avoid fabrics which irritate your skin like wool or scratchy fabrics.
- Reducing stress and considering meditation, yoga, hypnosis or exercise can be helpful.
Your pharmacist may be able to recommend some products which can help with itchy skin.
When To Seek Medical Help
You need to contact your doctor if you notice any of these complications:
- If itchy skin is interfering with your daily life
- If home remedies or self-care do not relieve itchy skin
- If the itching persists
- If the itching is seen all over the body, this could indicate a more serious problem.3
- If the skin is damaged from scratching, it can cause infection .2
Also, consult your doctor if you notice these symptoms in addition to itchy skin:
- Changes in mood
- Weight gain or loss
- Change in body functions 2
These symptoms might be a sign of a serious health condition that may require immediate medical help.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does Skin Cancer Treatment Cost
To Reduce The Desire To Scratch
- Apply cool, wet packs to the skin. Remove the pack when it becomes warm, and let your skin dry. Use again as needed.
- Keep nails clean and short. Wear clean fabric gloves if you scratch without thinking about it.
- Try rubbing, pressure, cool cloths, or vibration instead of scratching. Avoid breaking the skin.
- Wear loose, soft clothing.
- Distract yourself with music, reading, and the company of others.
- Take medicines for itching as prescribed.
Consider Combination Therapies For Chronic Itchy Skin
Depending on the cause of your itchy skin, you may benefit from using more than one treatment. This may be especially needed in cases of chronic itching.
For example, chronic itchiness related to skin conditions like eczema may benefit from colloidal oatmeal baths, topical emollients, and anti-itch creams.
Before using a combination of therapies, be sure to talk with your doctor.
Additionally, certain lifestyle changes can also help relieve itchy skin. Consider the following:
- Wear loose-fitting clothing to avoid trapping moisture in your skin.
- Wear natural fabrics, like cotton.
- Avoid extreme changes in temperatures, especially during the summer and winter months. Keep your house cool and humid, respectively.
- Use lukewarm water while bathing, and avoid hot tubs.
- Manage stress as much as possible. Stress can increase skin inflammation and itchiness.
- in addition to using fragrance-free lotions, make sure that your soaps and detergents are fragrance-free, too
You May Like: How Treatable Is Melanoma Skin Cancer
H3 Heading To Waive Off Wcag Issue
While some at-home remedies may suggest baking soda for itchy skin, the household substance might not be the best solution. Past reports found that the overuse of baking soda for itchy skin can lead to more serious skin problems.
If none of these solutions work, and the problems persist, go to your doctor to identify the underlying causes. Your doctor may prescribe medicated creams and ointments to relieve the itchiness.
How To Prevent Itching
The following measures can help in preventing itching:
- Wear loose-fitting, cotton clothing.
- Use a humidifier to keep your surroundings humid and prevent your skin from drying and turning itchy.
- Keep your nails trimmed.
- Keep your stress levels under control.
- Limit or avoid intake of caffeine and alcohol.
- Drink lots of water and keep yourself well hydrated.
- Keep your skin moisturized â use a good moisturizer.
- Check for allergic reactions to certain foods like milk, eggs, peanuts, fish, mushrooms, etc., and avoid them.
- Change out potentially chemically harmful household products such as: laundry detergent/softener, dryer sheets, shampoo, soap, lotion etcâ¦to more natural, chemical, and fragrance-free products.
In some cases, the itching can become intense and last for a long time. If you notice any of the following symptoms, you must consult your dermatologist immediately.
You May Like: Is Squamous Cell Carcinoma Genetic
How Do I Prevent Itchy Skin
Choosing healthy skincare habits might help you avoid itchy skin. Healthy skin care habits include taking a nutritious diet, drinking plenty of water, moisturising correctly to keep the skin from drying out, washing and bathing with warm water, protecting the skin from excessive damage, and using a good sunscreen. Following these habits will assist you in taking care of your skin and avoiding itchy skin.2
Reasons Your Skin Itches Uncontrollably And How To Get Relief
When your skin itches, you may have a rash however, you can have intensely itchy skin and see nothing on your skin.
Mosquito bites, chickenpox, and poison ivy arent the only reasons for itchy skin. See what else may be causing your itch and what can bring relief.
Very dry skin. Extremely dry skin can be intensely itchy.How to get relief: Dermatologists offer these tips for relieving dry skin at, Dry skin: Tips for managing.
Bug bites. When a mosquito bites you, the cause of your itchy skin is usually obvious, and the itch tends to go away quickly. When bugs live on your skin or feed on you every night, the itch can be long-lasting and uncontrollable. Bugs that can cause long-lasting itch, include bed bugs, lice, and mites .How to get relief: You can find out what these bug bites look like and how to get rid of the itch at:
How to get relief:
Skin cancer. For many people, the only sign of skin cancer is a new or changing spot on their skin. Sometimes, that spot also itches and can be the only reason a person notices the spot.How to get relief:See a board-certified dermatologist to find out if you have skin cancer. If you have skin cancer, treating it can get rid of the itch.
Warning sign of a disease inside your body. Long-standing itch can be a sign of several diseases, including:
How to get relief:
Also Check: What Does The Early Stages Of Melanoma Look Like
What Are The Home Remedies Used For Itchy Skin
Some of the home remedies that help to reduce the symptoms of itchy skin include using a moisturiser within 3 to 4 minutes after showering with lukewarm water and using a cold press. Using mild soaps and detergents and wearing cotton clothing is also helpful in relieving the skin itchiness. These home remedies can help retain the moisture in the skin and reduce itching caused due to dryness.2, 6
Find Out How To Treat Itchy Skin And Prevent It From Returning Using Vaselines Lotions
Expert Advice The advice in this article does not constitute medical advice, it is solely available for information purposes
Recommended Reading: What Is Ductal Carcinoma In Situ
What Are Oral Medications That Treat Itch
Traditionally, antihistamines are used to treat the itching. Examples include diphenhydramine , hydroxyzine , and chlorpheniramine . These medicines can induce drowsiness in many people and must be used with care before driving a car or operating heavy machinery. Although antihistamines may help relieve itchy skin, they seem to do so mainly by helping people fall asleep and avoid scratching at night.
If falling or staying asleep is not your main problem, you may want to try one of the nonsedating antihistamines. Loratadine and fexofenadine are examples of newer second-generation antihistamines that are available without a prescription.
- The second-generation antihistamines do not have the sedating effects of the older first-generation antihistamines but they are not very effective in quelling the itch.
Keep A Log Of Your Yorkies Behavior And Physical Appearance
For example, when did you first notice your dog being itchy and uncomfortable?
Did he or she seem itchier on certain days? Or are they itchier in certain seasons? One of my Yorkies, Ziggy gets skin allergies every spring and fall.
Consider including photographs take a picture of any visibly irritated skin when you see it. This way if your Yorkies skin changes before the veterinary appointment, you can show the veterinarian what your dog was experiencing.
Free Yorkie Newsletter
Signup for our weekly newsletter with tips, dog facts and more, and get a free printable pet planner!
Check your email!
Make a list of anything that you can recall your Yorkie being in contact with when he or she experienced itchy skin.
Did you offer a new type of treat? Did you recently change foods? Food allergies are not as common compared to environmental allergies but they are still a possibility and need to be ruled out.
Does your dog have gastrointestinal signs such as diarrhea? Some dogs will experience that along with itchiness, especially with food allergies.
Did you try a new shampoo or grooming product? Some dogs are sensitive to certain ingredients in grooming products.
Does your Yorkie lay on the rug? Some dogs are irritated by wool rugs, for example. Or if you recently shampooed the carpet, they may have a reaction to the cleaner used.
Did your Yorkie lay or roll in grass? Fleas, mites, a yard product, or pollen may be to blame.
Recommended Reading: What Can Skin Cancer Lead To
Does Itching Indicate Anything About Liver Disease Progression Or Prognosis
Liver failure is sometimes accompanied by itching. But you can develop problem itching early on, before you even know you have liver disease.
In fact, pruritis can develop at any point in liver disease. This symptom alone says nothing about liver disease severity, progression, or prognosis.
That doesnt mean its not a serious problem. When itching persists, it can contribute to:
Best Moisturizer For Itchy Skin
Often, itchy skin is caused by dryness. Skin typically requires moisture to remain in the best of health, and when hydration levels become depleted, itching, flaking and roughness can develop. For itching due to dry skin, experts usually suggest a moisturizing skin care product. These creams, lotions and ointments help to replenish lost moisture to address dryness and its symptoms like itchiness. Some moisturizers contain anti-itch ingredients like corticosteroids or natural ingredients that soothe the skin like aloe vera.
Also Check: How Dangerous Is Basal Cell Carcinoma
When To Visit A Doctor
Visit your skin specialist immediately if the itching:
- Lasts for several weeks
- Doesnât improve even after self-care
- Is accompanied by signs of tiredness, weight loss, or fever
- Has turned into an infection or is scarring
Itchy skin or pruritus is characterized by an itchy sensation resulting from irritated skin or nerve cells. Dry skin, rashes, certain medical conditions, and exposure to allergens or environmental irritants are some of the most common causes of itchy skin. Intense itching can wound the skin and lead to infections, so it is important to treat it at the earliest. Popular home remedies to get rid of itching skin include baking soda bath, oatmeal, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, lemon, mint, essentials oils, to name a few. To prevent itching, you may wear loose and airy clothes, keep the skin moisturized and maintain personal hygiene. If itching persists despite using these home remedies, you may need medical attention.