Colloidal Oatmeal To Treat Skin Allergy On The Face
Ideally, colloidal oatmeal is finely ground oatmeal that you can easily dissolve in water. It tends to be formed as a protective layer on the skins surface that helps seal moisture. The colloidal oatmeal also helps in relieving dryness besides itching.
- You can quickly get relieved of the skin allergy face as colloidal oatmeal also features antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing skin inflammation.
- As per recent research, it was found that colloidal oatmeal also helps in lowering scaling, dryness, roughness, etc.
The product is mainly used in skin allergy lotion and creams. Besides that, you can also use the oatmeal in your bath water directly as it will help in minimizing the impact in no time.
When To See Your Healthcare Provider
Many irritant and allergic skin reactions are mild and can be treated at home. In fact, most people are often able to identify the trigger and avoid it in the future.
But when should you see a dermatologist or other healthcare provider? Here are some instances when you may need professional help:
If your symptoms are very severe or involve a large patch of skin
If your rash doesnt improve or it keeps coming back
If you cant figure out what youre reacting to, dermatologists have a special test called a patch test that can help identify what youre allergic to
If you develop any pus, pain or the rash spreads these could be signs of a skin infection
If youre having any problems breathing, you should seek immediate medical attention
When To Seek Medical Help
You should contact your doctor if you notice one of the following symptoms:
- If the skin allergy or rash doesnt go away with treatment within a week
- If the skin allergy or rash comes back after going away for some time
- If the rashes itch constantly
- If the rash hurts
- If you see blisters on your skin
- If the rash looks infected 2
You must not rely on home remedies for the management of the condition you should consult a qualified doctor for an advice for the condition.
Also Read: Easy Home Remedies for Wart Removal
Don’t Miss: Benefits Of Vitamin C For The Skin
What Are The Post
After the cure of skin allergy, one needs to follow certain guidelines to prevent it from happening again and to avoid it permanently.
- Try not to touch the substances or ingredients that can trigger your allergy to affect your skin again.
- Try to keep the area of your skin clean where the allergy is affected.
- A cool compress or a shower would help.
- Gently pat dry the affected area and then moisturize.
- One can also use an anti-itching cream to avoid further effects.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes. They can irritate the affected area of skin allergy.
- One can also try damp dressing to soothe the area.
- Try to identify the best practices appropriate for your condition and stick to it.
Summary: Follow the guidelines. Avoid wearing tight clothes and touching substances that can trigger you. Apply anti-itching cream. Use only those substances that are appropriate for your skin.
Can Home Remedies Actually Work
The good news is that there are many options for getting dry skin relief that dont require a visit to the doctor or a prescription. That doesnt necessarily mean they will work for you but theyre all worth giving a go.
Use a humidifier
Running a humidifier at night while you sleep during the winter is a great way to return moisture to your skin, Dr. Khetarpal says.
Cool off in the shower
You may be a big fan of long, hot showers, particularly when its chilly outside, but Dr. Khetarpal advises making the experience a bit milder. Just like the heat running in your house can pull out moisture from your skin, the heat from a very hot shower can do the same, she says. Try keeping your shower set to a lukewarm level.
While using moisturizer may seem obvious, there are still a few tricks to keep in mind. First, be sure to apply right after a shower. Pat dry after your lukewarm shower and apply the moisture within three to five minutes. That helps trap the water in your skin, Dr. Khetarpal says.
Its also important what type of moisturizer you use, she adds. Look for moisturizers with ingredients like ceramide. An over-the-counter ingredient thats often marketed for eczema therapy, she says it helps restore your skin barriers and trap that water in your skin.
Don’t Miss: Does Skin Cancer Show Up In Blood Work
Holy Basil As Skin Allergy Home Remedy
The holy basil is also known as tulsi, and it tends to exhibit some antimicrobial properties that help protect your skin from infections. Besides that, it also has anti-inflammatory properties.
- The holy basil mainly helps in minimizing redness, swelling, and itchiness regarding skin allergy.
- Some holy basil leaves and grind them in a paste after washing them thoroughly.
- You must apply the paste on your face for at least 20 to 30 minutes and then wash it. You must use the paste multiple times every day for someday.
Skin Allergy Treatment At Home What Can I Use
While some of us have literal drugstores in our medicine cabinets and closets, for others, we stock up on the basic essentials. Pain reliever and fever reducer, cough and cold medicine, basic first aid supplies and a thermometer being the most common home care basics. But, what do you do when you are looking for a skin allergy treatment and there is nothing at all around your house is suitable to fit the bill? Well, you look for alternative options for home skin allergy treatment. While its best to use Benadryl or some other specifically designed formula for the skin allergy symptoms that you might be experiencing, you may not have it on hand or be able to rush out to get it. This is why you can consider many home remedy options for skin allergy treatment.
First of all, if you are experiencing any of the effects of a serious allergic reaction such as trouble breathing, excessive and increasing swelling, wheezing, worsening hives, an infection or a dramatic worsening of symptoms, its important to seek immediate medical care. You could be experiencing anaphylactic shock and not only is it dangerous, in some cases it can be life threatening.
Don’t Miss: What To Do If You Think You Have Skin Cancer
What Are The Common Causes Of Dry Itchy Skin
Seasonal allergies.Seasonal allergies might be to blame if your pup is itchy at certain times of the year like the spring or fall. As the seasons change, different allergens are present. For example, if your dog is allergic to pollen you may see more itching in the spring when more flowers are in bloom.
Environmental irritants. There are many environmental irritants like dust mites, mold, chemicals that can make your dogs skin dry and itchy. Trying to limit your dogs exposure to these will help your dogs skin. If its not possible to completely avoid them, consider protective gear like booties to keep their feet protected from anything on the ground when walking outside.
Be sure to take them off as soon as your pet comes inside to avoid irritation.
Food sensitivities. While it may not seem obvious, food sensitivities are another cause of irritated skin in dogs. Compared to environmental allergies, food allergies are rare. If you think your dogs food might be to blame, talk to your vet to determine if you need to do an elimination diet. A surprisingly common food allergy for dogs is actually chicken but thats not the only possibility.
Flea allergy dermatitis. If your dog has been bitten by fleas recently, they may show signs of flea allergy dermatitis. This is because dogs are actually allergic to flea bites which can make their skin itchy. If you see red spots or have confirmed the presence of fleas on your dog, this might be the cause.
Are The Results Of The Home Remedies For Skin Allergy Are Permanent
When the home remedy is used to cure skin allergy the time taken by it is much longer than taken by medicines. The only benefit is that it remains organic and natural. The results of the home remedy are permanent in the sense that it not only heals the present symptom of skin allergy very easily but effectively cures the underlying cause as well.
But if one is acutely allergic to certain things the result might not be long-lasting. In that case, one is recommended to consult a physician. Depending on the severity and ramification of the symptoms, a decision needs to be taken.
Summary: Yes, the results of the home remedies are permanent but it might take a longer time when compared to medicines.
Immediate Action Required: Call 999 If:
- you get a skin rash that may include itchy, red, swollen, blistered or peeling skin
- you’re wheezing
- you get tightness in the chest or throat
- you have trouble breathing or talking
- your mouth, face, lips, tongue or throat start swelling
You could be having a serious allergic reaction and may need immediate treatment in hospital.
Causes Of Skin Allergies
Because they are young and curious and dont have a filter that keeps them cautious when exploring new things, children are more likely to have skin allergy reactions. They can come into contact with allergens both indoors and outside, and often, because they are too young to reason out that a specific item has caused the irritation, they dont avoid that contact.
The cause of a skin allergy is the fact that allergens raise the level of histamine in the body. Histamine is the bodys natural response to an unwelcome irritant, prompting anything from excess mucus production to swelling. In the case of skin allergies, that histamine produces excess fluid that looks for ways to escape the skin, causing the raised rashes and other appearance of skin irritations. Histamine also causes the itching and burning sensation.
Some of the most common allergens that lead to skin allergies are:
- Poison ivy and other plants
- Dust, dust mites, and related particles
- Exposure to extreme cold or intense heat that dries out skin and leaves it susceptible to other irritants
- Fur and dander shed by pets
- Stress, whether emotional or physical in nature
- Common cold, as well as other infections and viruses
- Certain foods ingested
- Stings and bites from insects
- Products with heavy fragrances and perfumes
- Certain types of medication
Also Check: Does Melanoma Hurt Or Itch
Home Remedies For Your Dogs Skin Allergies
Lauren Mihok | Apr 22, 2022 | 2 comments
We are right in the middle of pollen season right now. Many of our pets are itching and scratching, biting their paws, and licking themselves into having raw spots on their bodies. If this just started in the spring, it could be just environmental allergies/intolerances that are causing them symptoms. If they seem to experience these symptoms year round, then it might be a food allergy/intolerance. Or, it could be both!
We want our furry friends to be healthy and happy, so what can we do when we see these symptoms happening? The following is an article about some home remedies you can try to see if you can help your pet feel better. When all else fails, talk to your vet about testing for allergies and intolerances so you can get to the root cause of what is really causing your pets discomforts.
Skin allergies are common in many dog breeds. Learn how you can soothe your dogs symptoms while treating their allergies at home.
Written by Medically reviewed by Dr. Michelle Diener
January 11, 2022
If your pup has skin allergies, they might have dry, itchy skin or other uncomfortable symptoms. So as a pet owner its understandable that you want to do everything you can to soothe the discomfort.
Dont try any of these remedies until your pup has received medical care and the approval of your vet!
Give Your Pup Manuka Honey
Manuka honey may reduce inflammation and help doggie allergies. This is one tasty treat you can ! Some researchers believe honey contains many types of pollens. If a dog eats the honey, it may help desensitize a dog to certain types of pollen. They may enjoy the sweet taste while their allergy symptoms improve. You can also use manuka honey to treat wounds, but your dog might try to lick it off!
Wipe Your Pups Paws After Adventures Outside
If your dog is suffering from allergies caused by environmental factors, they can bring them in from the great outdoors. Thats why its important to wipe your dogs paws when they come in from a walk. This is especially true in the winter as youll want to remove any ice, snow, or rock salt that can cause burns and blisters.
Symptoms Of A Skin Allergy
The typical symptoms of a skin allergy are pretty easy to recognize most of the time, but in more severe cases, you may not realize an allergy is the underlying reason for the issue. Notable symptoms of skin allergies include:
- Redness and general irritation
- Itching or burning in patches
- Skin rashes
- Eczema , defined by dry, itchy, red skin or the appearance of small, bumps filled with clear or yellowish liquid
- Hives, identified by red bumps and welts that burn and itch
When it comes to a skin allergy, knowing the underlying cause can greatly assist in treating the condition. Once you identify the allergen that has triggered the reaction, you can better assess how severe your allergy is as well.
Don’t Miss: Can Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Be Cured
Skin Allergic Reactions: The Internal Causes
A person who usually suffers from an allergies likely has this coded in his/her genes. Such a person is called atopic. An atopic individual is at risk for specific allergies but may remain without symptoms for their entire life. Atopy may turn to allergy only if the person is exposed to the allergen, that too at a time when the bodys immune system is under stress.
Our lifestyles are one such stressor. Choosing to eat processed foods, leading a sedentary lifestyle, not managing life stress well are all major factors in firing the allergy genes. Therefore, it is safe to say that skin allergies are a result of fine imbalances that happen within our bodies.
A robust immune system is key to avoiding hypersensitive responses. To avoid allergies of all kinds, it is best to lead a wholesome life that entails choosing healthy dietary habits, daily physical exercise and consuming enough high quality probiotics.
In fact, science is discovering with each passing day that probiotics are fantastic for multiple body systems. Thats why everyone should make sure that they get them in sufficient measure.
Everyday stress can be managed by slowing down the daily pace, practicing progressive relaxation, yoga and meditation. Drinking chamomile and catnip tea also helps the mind relax. Try these home remedies for skin allergy and treat it safely and naturally.
Which Skincare Products Wont Cause A Reaction
Just because youve had contact dermatitis doesnt mean you have to stay away from all skincare products. You may benefit from using products that are created for people with sensitive skin. These products try to avoid the common irritants and allergens that cause skin reactions.
Products like Vanicream and Simple have several skincare options for people with sensitive skin. VMV Hypoallergenics has both skincare products and a makeup line for people who have skin reactions to more regular makeup.
You May Like: When To Check For Skin Cancer
How Can I Treat My Dogs Skin Allergy At Home
You can use shampoos and products to help keep your pups skin moisturized and free of allergens. Using an oatmeal bath or other product to help soothe itchy skin can help allergy symptoms. You can also try dietary supplements and remove allergens from your dogs environment. Remember to check with your vet before using any new products on your dog.
Top 10 Home Remedies For Skin Allergies
1. Coconut Oil: It is a popular choice to soften skin, reduce dryness and flaking and itching of skin. Coconut oil reduces inflammation and supports healing of the skin. The Vitamin E, Vitamin K and medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are key ingredients, which penetrate skin and help in moisturizing and treating skin conditions. It can be used directly or mixed with equal quantity of olive oil. Massage oil gently on skin and leave it on for at least half an hour. Applying coconut oil after a bath keeps the skin soft and problem-free especially, if you have sensitive skin.
2. Honey: It has been used since ages to promote rapid tissue healing, encourage new skin growth and to prevent bacterial growth. You can apply honey directly to skin 2-3 times daily. Leave it for at least 30 minutes before washing off with lukewarm water. One part of honey can also be mixed with one part of cinnamon powder and applied. Drinking lukewarm water with one tablespoon each of honey and lime juice proves helpful in clearing up the skin allergies.
4. Ice Therapy: Hold an ice pack over your eczema patches for 10-15 minutes. This numbs the skin and reduces blood circulation to the affected area. When the ice pack is removed the veins start to dilate and blood rushes to the part carrying nutrients, which flush out the toxins and enable healing of the damaged tissues. This offers prompt relief from itching.
Also Check: What Is Non Invasive Skin Cancer