Reduce Friction With Anti
Too much rubbing for whatever reason walking, working out, or wearing your favorite tight skinny jeans could make your inner-thigh skin weak and wear away, which leads to painful thigh chafing.
More From Good Housekeeping
How to prevent it: Body Glide is a great solution, says Dr. Allison Hanlon, a dermatologist in Nashville, Tennessee. It’s an invisible protective balm that works really well lots of runners and bikers use it. Our editors also love Gold Bond Friction Defense to protect chafing-prone skin.
Anti-chafing products film on skin that can reduce the friction between touching skin parts, explains Birnur Aral, Ph.D., a senior chemist at the Good Housekeeping Institute. Aral suggests looking for ingredients like waxes and polyethlyene to create a film, paired with silica and zinc oxide, which are powders that impart a silky and non-sticky feeling. One of our editors swears by using antiperspirant on her thighs: it saved her from inner-thigh irritation while running a marathon .
SHOP ANTI-CHAFING PRODUCTS
What Is Thigh Chafing
Thigh chafing is essentially a type of irritant contact dermatitis that is exacerbated by moisture as well as skin-to-skin contact, dermatologist Dr. Lindsey Zubritsky says. Continuous rubbing in combination with moisture on the skin leads to small tears and shearing of the top layers of the skin, resulting in skin breakdown.
Care Clark, a nurse and skin care specialist who offers tips on and TikTok, explains that chafing of the thighs is especially common because the skin along the thighs is generally more thin and sensitive, so it is much more prone to irritation.
Apply Aloe Or Argan Oil
For a standalone rash, Dr. Baumann recommends applying argan oil or aloe. Indeed, a January 2019 review in the âIranian Journal of Medical Sciencesâ of more than 23 different studies found that aloe vera can be effective as a skin-healing aid.
The âInternational Journal of Molecular Sciencesâ explains that argan oil also has been found to have helpful properties in restoring the skin’s barrier function, as well as hydrating the skin, which can help heal infections.
Recommended Reading: Is Hepatocellular Carcinoma Associated With Hbv
Nix The Irritating Workout Gear
If you’re not wearing the right type of exercise clothing, your thighs will really pay for all those rep moves. And who wants to spend an hour kick-boxing if you’re going to leave with red, raw skin?
How to prevent it: Ditch any loose fitting cotton pants they’ll just “trap moisture and irritate the skin further,” says Hanlon. Instead, she recommends choosing moisture-wicking materials that cling to your body. You could also consider alternating the days you do upper and lower body training to give your thighs a break.
Protect The Skin With Pads
Along with keeping the skin clean and dry and using a barrier cream, Dr. Marmon says you can help physically keep skin folds apart and prevent them rubbing together by using a physical barrier as well.
For instance, she suggests placing Telfa pads or cotton gauze between the fat folds to keep them separated and eliminate friction.
Try These Products
- âTelfa Non-Adherent Dressing Padsâ
- âBand-Aid Brand Medium Gauze Padsâ
Also Check: Where Does Metastatic Melanoma Spread
What Exercises Get Rid Of Chub Rub
Exercises to tone inner thighs Curtsy lunge. Reps: 1015 on each leg. Equipment needed: none. Lunges with dumbbell. Reps: 30 seconds per leg. Pile squats. Reps: perform for 30 seconds total. Skaters. Reps: 20 repetitions. Medicine ball side lunge. Reps: 1015 reps or 30 seconds per leg. Supine inner thigh lift. Reps: 15 on each leg.
Cover It Up: Bandages And Specialty Covers
How it works
If changing up your clothing isnt getting the job done, bandages or specialty covers, like nipple guards or thigh bands, are another option to kill the rub.
What its best for
Protect your nips with bandages and special anti-chafe coverings ideal for smaller areas. Some products are also made for thigh chafing.
- The OG:Band-Aid. Bandages are most often used on nipples to prevent chafing or to keep it from getting worse. If youre applying a greasy ointment, you can also use bandages to cover the area to prevent staining your clothes.
- Nipple covers:NipEaze. These unisex nipple covers, popular with serious athletes, stop nipples from chafing against fabric.
- Nursing pads:Bamboobies Washable Nursing Pads. Nursing moms can use these to buffer friction on sore nipples while also soaking up milky leaks.
- Anti-chafe bands:Bandelettes Thigh Bands. These slip-on, adjustable bands of fabric come in several lacy designs and colors and help prevent inner thigh chafing. There are also plain bands to match a variety of skin tones.
Also Check: How To Treat Skin Cancer On Scalp
What Does Chafing Look Like
Chafing will present as a mild to moderate red rash on the skin. The rash may sting or burn. In severe skin chafing cases, the rash could lead to swelling, bleeding, blisters or crusting. Chafing may be patchy, but it will not present with spots or bite-like lumps. If you suffer from ingrown hairs or stretch marks in the affected area these may also become inflamed and irritated.
Chafing does not usually require a medical diagnosis but if you are unsure what your rash is you should seek medical attention, of course. Those who have suffered from chafing before will recognize the telltale signs. As the weather heats up you can often feel more sweat and moisture between your legs and know that chafing may be on its way
How To Treat Chafed Skin
You should give your skin time to heal before exercising again, because further friction will make the chafed skin worse, risking infection.Luckily, chafing treatments are simple. Gently apply the regularly once or twice a day. It creates a thin, breathable, protective layer that supports the healing of your skin.
In case a superficial wound was created as a result of chafing, start by cleansing the wound using the , to prevent infection before you apply the ointment. You can also protect the wound by applying an Elastoplast plaster such as .
While your chafed skin is recovering, be sure to follow this advice:
- Ensure your shower is set to a lukewarm – not hot – temperature and avoid using harsh soaps which can make the burning sensation worse.
- Avoid cleaning chafed skin with hydrogen peroxide or iodine, which can delay the healing process, and use mild soap or water instead.
- After bathing, be sure to pat skin dry, as rubbing will make the chafing worse.
- Wear comfy, loose and thin clothing to allow your skin to breathe.
- Ice or cold packs can be used for short periods of time to reduce the pain.
Recommended Reading: How To Treat Non Melanoma Skin Cancer
What Causes Male Chafing
Some people are predisposed to chafing because they just have sensitive skin, says Dr. Howe. Another factor is hairiness, which can present a problem. It seems counterintuitive since youd think hair would prevent skin-to-skin contact, but Dr. Howe notes it goes to the root of what causes chafing in the first place. Perspiration makes the skin surfaces tacky so they dont slide against each other properly, he says. In addition to chafing, hairy areas could also become inflamed , which can make chafing worse and possibly get infected.
More From Men’s Health
Other issues that could lead to chafing, according to Dr. Howe, are how we work out. When we use machines in general, like stationary cycles, theres a little less variation in position and that means theres more constant stress on the same patches of skin, he says. And while excess body weight can be a factor in how much skin is touching itself, it doesnt in itself cause chafing. More often, people who start new exercise routines and are doing more or new repetitive movements may see more chafing.
The good news about chafing is that, as uncomfortable as it is, its entirely treatable and preventable. Heres how to get rid of chafing quickly and make sure it doesnt come back.
Chafing Treatment: How To Tend To A Chafing Rash
At the end of the day, chafing happens. If you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation, the dermatologists we spoke to recommended some remedies you can try to ease the pain and speed up the healing process:
- Apply cold aloe vera gel to the chafed area. This can help relieve irritation, according to Wu. If you dont have aloe vera gel, you can also try a cold washcloth compress.
- Use a mild cortisone cream if your chafing rash starts to get itchy. However, several of the dermatologists advised seeing a doctor if a painful rash persists for more than a week. If it gets really uncomfortable, see your derm, Marchbein said. It might simply be irritation, but you might also have a fungal or a yeast infection or something else.
- Wear breathable fabrics. Airing out the area is the most helpful, Chiu said.
- Use Aquaphor. This soothing petroleum ointment will protect the skin while it heals, according to King. Mark also recommended Aquaphor, noting that its extremely protective, thick and rich enough to last hours when you apply it.
Read Also: How To Get Skin Cancer
How To Prevent Chafing In The Future
First, try to figure out whats causing the chafing in the first place. In some cases, the mystery is easy to deduce: Your dog wore a life jacket for the first time and ran around all day with a wet strap rubbing against his soft armpit. Answer: Make sure the life jacket fits properly, and remove it as soon as your dog is out of the water.
Flickr / Ashley Baxter
In other cases, the situation may be more confusing. These steps should help:
- Check your harness fit. You might have the right harness, but it may be too tight or too loose. You should be able to fit two fingers between the dogs skin and the strap.
- Try a new harness. You want one like this well-reviewed harness, which doesnt fit under the armpits.
- Add extra padding. You can easily buy or make padding, like Strap Wrap, to create a softer cushion between the harness and your dogs skin.
Of course, if you dont notice improvements in the irritated area after three to seven days, check with your vet to see if the problem may require additional treatment.
Overnight Relief To Chafing
- Apply a restorative ointment before bedtime. There are many simple and soothing ointment options, such as Vaseline or A& D. Even babys diaper rash creams have worked well for some. Using it before bedtime will help it work overnight.
- Avoid touching or rubbing the skin in that area.
- Hold off on scented lotions, soaps, or products with actives, like glycolic acid.
- Let fresh air cool down the area, or use an ice pack.
How to treat with creams or lotion
Wash the affected area. Gently use unscented cleanser, then rinse with water. Carefully pat-dry the area with a clean towel. Apply ointment of choice, or use a natural product like aloe vera, a vegetable oil, or CBD shea butter.
Please know that all of the following points are suggestions and invitations for you to explore. Nothing is ever one-size-fits-all. No one but you will know the best option for your body!
Recommended Reading: How Do Doctors Check For Skin Cancer
Ways To Prevent Skin Chafing
In order to prevent skin chafing, you must decrease the amount of friction to your skin. Here are some ways to do this:
Stay dry. Wet skin can make chafing worse. Before you head out the door, apply talcum and alum powders to areas that get the most sweaty. Powders can help wick moisture away from the skin. Don’t stay in wet or sweaty clothes.
Lubricate. Apply petroleum jelly, or a similar product, to hot spots. Lubricants can help reduce friction to the skin. Petroleum jelly is inexpensive and widely available several types of lubricants are available over the counter. You may have to try a few before you find the one that works best for you. To reduce nipple chafing, petroleum jelly, patches, or tape can be placed on your nipples to reduce friction.
Dress right. When exercising, wear proper-fitting, moisture-wicking clothes, such as those made with synthetic fibers. Do not exercise in cotton. Compression shorts, such as those worn by cyclists, may help reduce thigh chafing. Also, less is more when it comes to dressing for exercise. If it is warm outside, consider running without a shirt if you are a man and in only a jogging bra if you are a woman. Lastly, choose exercise clothes and bras that have smooth seams to avoid rubbing.
How Do You Treat Chafing
Skin chafing shouldnt be ignored. Without treatment mild chafing can get worse and lead to bleeding, infections or scarring, so dont ignore it. In most cases, at-home chafing solutions or over-the-counter products can be used to treat chafing. If the affected area is already very painful, swollen, bleeding, or crusted, you should seek medical attention. You may need a medicated ointment prescription to prevent an infection or scarring.
Recommended Reading: What Is Invasive Skin Cancer
Chafing: Causes Treatment And Prevention
Skin-on-skin rubbing is uncomfortable, but common and preventable
Chafed skin is caused by the frequent and recurrent friction that occurs when there is skin-on-skin rubbing in any area of the body. Chafing of the underarms, inner thighs, buttocks, groin, and nipples can lead to redness and irritation in those areas.
Preventing skin chafing can be as simple as keeping areas of the body that tend to rub together dry, using a lubricant that can reduce friction such as petroleum jelly, and dressing appropriately to reduce further irritation or skin-on-skin rubbing.
Try Apply Tea Tree Oil To Chafed Skin
A lot of people use tea tree oil and that could actually be quite helpful for chafing, notes Dr. Howe. Tea tree oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that could help treat the underlying causes of chafing. Apply a few drops of the oil to the area with a cotton pad or mix a few drops with some coconut oil to help moisturize the area as well.
You May Like: Is Hepatocellular Disease The Same As Hepatocellular Carcinoma
Discover How To Prevent Chafing And Soothe & Protect Skin
When the skin on the inner thighs rubs together, it can create an uncomfortable patch of raw-feeling skin. Its a feeling many runners and athletes know all too well. If not treated correctly, chafed skin can become quite sore and irritated, which is why its important to practice proper after care and take measures to help prevent chafing thighs in the future. Anyone can experience chafing, but some people are more prone to developing sore, red patches of skin. If youre an avid runner or athlete, if youre overweight, or if you frequently wear dresses or skirts in very hot, humid weather, you may notice that you experience the symptoms of chafing quite regularly. If you want to know how to help prevent chafing thighs and what to do if you do suffer with chafed skin, heres some useful tips that may help.
What Should You Look For In Anti
“In general, you should look for ingredients that provide protection for the skin surface and help calm and repair the skin,” said Dr. Y. Claire Chang, a board-certified cosmetic dermatologist at Union Square Laser Dermatology in New York City. “I recommend looking for emollients and occlusive ingredients in an anti-chafe balm, which provide a physical barrier to help protect against excessive irritation and moisture.” She also recommends looking for calming skin care ingredients like aloe and vitamin E.
According to Robinson, other ingredients that prevent chafing are “petroleum jelly, dimethicone and glycerin. Zinc oxide is also fantastic at creating a barrier at the skins surface its the active ingredient in mineral sunscreen and commonly found in diaper rash treatments, so you know its gentle!”
Keeping your skin protected is key, but if chafing has already occurred, New York City-based dermatologist Dr. Hadley King says you should clean and dry the area thoroughly.
“Wet skin can make chafing worse,” King said. “Apply powders to absorb moisture and dont stay in wet or sweaty clothing.”
While balms, creams and powders can help reduce chafing, it’s best to consult your dermatologist if irritation is painful or swollen to determine the best treatment option.
Read Also: What Does Skin Cancer Rash Look Like
What Deodorant Is Best For Thigh Chafing
So, we put together a list of the best chub rub product to help you prevent that dreaded pain. Thigh Rescue by Megababe. ChafeZone by MedZone. Deodorant or antiperspirant. Silky Underwear Dusting Powder by Lush Cosmetics. Chafing Relief Powder Gel by Monistat. Lady Anti Monkey Butt powder. UnderSummers. Bandelettes.
If Your Chafing Is Mild To Moderate You Can Treat It At Home Using The Following Tips:
1. Clean the areaGently clean the affected area with water and dry it thoroughly. You should avoid washing with heavily scented body washes or exfoliators which could make pain and irritation worse.
2. Dry the areaExcess moisture is one of the main causes of chafing, and leaving sweat or water on dry on the skin will only make the rash worse.
3. Apply a lubricantTo prevent further rubbing you should apply a lubricant to the affected area of your thighs. A lubricant could be a common substance like petroleum jelly, or a specialty chafing cream or chafing balm. You should avoid scented lotions which may irritate the skin further. Using a lubricant on the area will create a barrier to prevent further friction and chafing.
4.Bandage the areaIf you have small blisters forming on the skin you may need to use blister plasters. If you have multiple or serious blisters, or experience bleeding, seek medical advice. You may need to be prescribed a medicated cream to prevent infection or scarring.
5. Wear preventative clothingYou can prevent the thighs from rubbing together even more by wearing preventative clothing. Choose clothes such as trousers in breathable fabrics and avoid wearing skirts or shorts until the chafing has healed. You can also wear anti-chafing shorts or thigh bands. These will work to prevent future chafing.
You May Like: Can People Die From Skin Cancer