Skin Scraping Or Biopsies
The doctor may order a skin scrape or biopsy, where they scrape or remove part of a wart, part of a lesion, or skin cells.
The tissue from the scrape or biopsy is examined under a microscope. The findings can potentially be used to diagnose conditions such as psoriasis, scabies, and fungal infections.
Causes And Treatment Of Groin Rash
There are a large number of reasons that can lead to a groin rash. In this article, we have highlighted the causes, symptoms, and treatment of this skin condition.
The skin of the groin area is susceptible to different kinds of rashes. As this area remains warm and moist all the time, it becomes an ideal place for the growth and survival of fungus, bacteria, yeast, etc. The symptom of groin rash is mild to severe itching that is often accompanied by reddening of the skin . Sometimes, the skin can become flaky too. It can occur in men, women, children, and even babies.
Some of the causes of a groin rash are minor while a few others could be quite serious. Fungal infection in the groin area is one major problem. This fungal infection is often referred to as a jock itch. This sort of a rash if left untreated, can spread to the other areas, like buttocks and legs.
Men are at a higher risk of getting this infection as compared to women. Erythrasma is a form of bacterial infection that gives rise to rashes that are slightly brownish in color. Itchy rashes near the groin often appear due to a yeast infection as well.
The skin in the groin area is extremely sensitive and may show allergic reactions when exposed to certain chemicals present in detergents, soaps, deodorants, and latex used in condoms. Other serious conditions leading to a groin rash are psoriasis, genital herpes, genital warts, and pubic lice.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Intertrigo
Signs and symptoms of intertrigo depend on how severe it is and if there is an infection or not.
Early symptoms of intertrigo without infection can include:
- Having a somewhat symmetrical red or reddish-brown rash with small bumps in an area where your skin rubs against itself.
- Having itching, stinging and/or burning in the affected area.
- Feeling uncomfortable or experiencing pain in the affected area.
If intertrigo is not treated in its early phase, you can develop the following symptoms:
- Feeling like your affected skin is raw.
- Having cracks in your affected skin.
- Experiencing bleeding or oozing from your affected skin.
- Having skin that is crusted over and/or scaly in the affected area.
Symptoms of intertrigo with an infection can include:
- Having a foul smell in the affected area.
- Having bumps on your affected skin that contain pus.
- Having raised, tender bumps on your affected skin.
If you have signs of an infection, its important to see your healthcare provider or go to the nearest hospital as soon as possible. Infections need proper medical treatment and can lead to serious complications if theyre left untreated.
Also Check: Can You Get Basal Cell Carcinoma On Your Leg
What Is Groin Irritation And Infection
Irritation in the groin can be painful and annoying. There are many causes, including:
- getting sand in your swimming costume or board shorts
- a build-up of sweat after exercise
- excess rubbing to the area such as through exercise or sex
- lubricants and spermicides
- latex products, such as condoms
- soaps, shower gels, shampoos, deodorants or hygiene sprays
- disinfectants, antiseptics and ointments
- new underwear, especially if it is not made from cotton
Skin inflammation that is due to contact with different substances is called contact dermatitis.
Irritation can also be due to:
Groin infections can be caused by:
- other viral or bacterial skin infections
Are There Different Kinds Of Intertrigo
There are a few names for intertrigo depending on certain factors such as where it appears and if its caused an infection or not. Your healthcare provider may use one or more of these terms to describe your intertrigo:
- Acute intertrigo: If your intertrigo just recently appeared, its called acute intertrigo.
- Recurrent intertrigo: If youve had multiple cases of intertrigo over time, its called recurrent intertrigo.
- Chronic intertrigo: If your case of intertrigo has lasted six weeks or more, its called chronic intertrigo.
- Uncomplicated intertrigo: Uncomplicated intertrigo means your intertrigo has not caused an infection.
- Interdigital intertrigo: Intertrigo between your fingers or toes is called interdigital intertrigo.
- Candidal intertrigo: Candidal intertrigo happens when your intertrigo becomes infected by the yeast Candida. Candida is the most common cause of intertrigo infections.
- Diaper rash: Also known as diaper dermatitis, diaper rash is a form of intertrigo.
You May Like: Where Can Skin Cancer Spread To
Preventing Recurring Fungal Groin Infection
- Wash your groin daily then dry thoroughly. Drying is perhaps the most important point. It is easy to put on underwear when your groin is not quite dry. The damp groin is then an ideal site for fungal germs to multiply.
- Change underwear daily. Fungi may multiply in flakes of skin in unwashed underwear.
- Check for athlete’s foot and treat it if you have it. Athlete’s foot is a common fungal infection of the toes. In a typical case of athlete’s foot, the skin between the toes is itchy and flaky – especially between the outer two toes. The fungi from athlete’s foot may spread to the groin. The same creams are used to treat athlete’s foot and fungal groin infection .
- Do not share towels with people in communal changing rooms. Wash towels frequently.
- Keep your own towel when you have a fungal skin infection to reduce the chance of passing on the fungus to others.
Allergic Reaction Or Irritation
This is a common and treatable cause of genital itch that develops in women, men, and children. Women seem especially prone because products, such as vaginal douches, feminine hygiene sprays, and scented panty liners can cause a reaction. Many other products, including perfumed soaps, wet wipes, and underwear can cause a reaction in anyone.
Don’t Miss: Does Skin Cancer Make You Feel Tired
Can Intertrigo Spread To Other Parts Of My Body
You can have intertrigo in more than one place on your body at the same time, but intertrigo does not spread to other parts of your body. This is because a key contributing factor for intertrigo is friction from skin-to-skin rubbing, so only places on your body where your skin rubs together can have intertrigo.
If you get an infection from your intertrigo, the infection can spread to other parts of your body and can cause serious complications. Its important to see your healthcare provider as soon as possible if you have signs of an infection.
Causes Of Jock Itch In Women
Jock itch is caused by a fungus called tinea, from the same family of fungi responsible for ring worm and athletes foot. What causes this fungal infection of the groin in females? Tinea likes to live in hot, moist environments. Thats why it spreads easily in places like locker rooms and public showers and can readily be passed by sharing contaminated towels or gym clothes. Wearing tight clothes, especially underwear, exercise clothes and bathing suits also encourages its growth.
Don’t Miss: How Often Does Basal Cell Carcinoma Spread
When Should I See My Doctor
See your doctor if you have symptoms that are new for you and not getting better with simple self-care measures.
Also see your doctor if you may have been exposed to a sexually transmitted infection , or have issues urinating.
Can Women Get Jock Itch Symptoms Causes Treatment And Prevention
From yeast infections to bacterial vaginosis, there are many conditions that can cause an itchy groin area in females. If youre experiencing a rash, dry flaky skin in the pubic area and female itching, you might be wondering can women Read More
From yeast infections to bacterial vaginosis, there are many conditions that can cause an itchy groin area in females. If youre experiencing a rash, dry flaky skin in the pubic area and female itching, you might be wondering can women get jock itch? While this condition is most common in men, jock itch in women does occur. Heres how to know if jock itch is the cause of your discomfort and how your doctor can help.
Also Check: How Do You Know If You Have Skin Cancer
What Parts Of The Body Get Intertrigo
Intertrigo can appear in between any skin areas that are in close contact with each other, such as skin folds, and that are often moist.
The most common places that intertrigo occurs include:
- In the crease of your neck.
- In your armpits.
- In your groin at your scrotum.
- In your inner thighs.
- Between your toes and fingers.
Babies are especially at risk for intertrigo because their skin is delicate and theyre more likely to have moist skin from drooling or from wearing diapers. The most common places for babies to have intertrigo include:
- On their buttocks or in their groin area .
- In between their neck folds.
- In the creases of their skin rolls or folds on their arms and legs.
Prevention And Treatment Of Intertrigo
If you or your child has intertrigo, your doctor may suggest simply keeping the affected area dry and exposed to the air. You may control oozing with moist compresses of an astringent called Burow’s solution. Then air-dry with a hair dryer set on “cool.”
A barrier cream may be recommended to help protect skin from irritants.
To treat intertrigo, your doctor may recommend short-term use of a topical steroid to reduce inflammation in the area. If the area is also infected, your doctor may prescribe an antifungal or antibiotic cream or ointment. Sometimes you need an oral medication.
Some simple steps may help lower your risk in the future, such as:
- Shower and dry off thoroughly each day. Keep your skin as dry and cool as you can.
- Avoid wearing tight shoes or clothing.
- Wear a bra with good support.
- If the areas between the toes are affected, consider wearing open-toed shoes.
- For infants with diaper rash, change diapers more frequently.
- If you are overweight, do what you can to lose weight.
Don’t Miss: La Prairie Skin Caviar Essence In Lotion
Special Concerns If The Person Has Dementia
A person who has dementia may become confused or may forget how to clean without help. In a calming voice, explain one step at a time what to do. A person who has more advanced dementia will need you to do the cleaning. Explain what you are doing.
In some cases, the person may be upset or try to fight you. Don’t force them to clean. Try again at another time. Pick a time when they are most rested and calm.
Risk Factors For Jock Itch
If the following factors apply to you, you might have a higher risk of jock itch:
- Youre a teenager.
- You have overweight or live with obesity, which increases how many skin folds you have. The fungi that cause jock itch thrive in sweaty skin folds.
- You have a tendency to sweat, which increases the moisture of the skin and encourages dermatophytes to multiply.
- Your immune system doesnt function as it should due to an underlying health condition or treatment for a condition. People who are immunocompromised have
Don’t Miss: What Vitamins Good For Skin
What Causes Intertrigo
Intertrigo is caused by skin-to-skin friction that is made worse by heat and moisture. This most commonly happens between skin folds or creases and between your toes or fingers.
The trapped moisture often due to sweating causes your skin surfaces to stick together. This increases the friction between your skin surfaces, which causes skin damage, bacterial and/or fungal overgrowth and inflammation. In many cases of intertrigo, the skin breaks open from the friction, which allows bacteria and/or fungus to get into your skin, causing an infection. The moisture and warmth make a perfect environment for bacteria and fungi to multiply. If the affected area comes in contact with sweat, pee or poop, it can make your intertrigo worse.
Different kinds of fungi and bacteria that can cause secondary infections include:
- Candida: Candida, a type of yeast and fungus, is the most common cause of secondary infections in intertrigo cases.
- Dermatophytes: Dermatophytes are fungi that require keratin for growth. These fungi can cause infections in your skin and nails. Dermatophyte fungi often cause secondary infections from intertrigo in between your fingers or toes.
- Staphylococcus aureus: This bacteria often called staph is a common cause of intertrigo bacterial infections.
What Causes Jock Itch
Jock itch is caused by a group of fungi called dermatophytes which infect the uppermost layers of the skin. Normally these fungi live harmlessly on your skin but can multiply quickly and cause infection in warm and moist environments, for example if you wear sweat-soaked clothes for long periods of time e.g. after exercise. You can also get it through close contact with an infected person or through contaminated towels, clothes or your hands if you touch other infected areas of your body. Fungi are easily spread through scratching, so if you have athletes foot or a fungal nail infection you are more at risk of catching jock itch too.
Recommended Reading: Can You Survive Stage 4 Melanoma
How Is Intertrigo Treated
The main way to treat intertrigo that hasnt caused an infection is by keeping the affected area dry, clean and cool.
Ways you can keep your intertrigo dry, clean and cool at home include:
- Dry yourself thoroughly with a clean towel after you take a shower. Dry the affected area by patting it with a towel, not rubbing it.
- Use a fan or a hairdryer on the cool setting over the affected area multiple times a day.
- Wear loose clothing and breathable fabrics, such as cotton.
- Use a mild antiperspirant in your armpits or under your breasts to minimize sweating.
- Use a powder drying agent, such as talcum powder, on your affected area. If you use an ointment for your intertrigo, do not use it and powder at the same time. They will create a tacky paste.
Other things you can do to treat uninfected intertrigo include:
Treatment for intertrigo that has caused an infection depends on what caused it. Your healthcare provider will need to find out what kind of bacteria or fungi have caused your infection in order to give you proper treatment.
Treatment for infected intertrigo can include:
How To Treat Rashes
Treatment at home often helps rashes go away. If the person you are caring for develops a rash in the groin area, here are some things you can do to help treat it:
- Keep the skin dry.
- Check the briefs every 3 hours. Change if needed.
- Use a blow-dryer on a warm setting to get the area fully dry.
- If the person has had diarrhea, apply an ointment such as A+D Ointment, Desitin, Diaparene, or zinc oxide.
- Give more fluids to make the urine less concentrated.
Don’t Miss: How Can Skin Cancer Be Treated
An Accurate Diagnosis Is The Key To Getting Real Relief
While youve just seen eight very different reasons for itchy private parts, there are many more, including hemorrhoids, menopause, and eczema. Several STIs can also cause your genitals to itch.
Seeing a board-certified dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis and treatment can protect your health and bring much welcomed relief.
Have a skin, hair, or nail problem?
No one understands your skin better than a board-certified dermatologist. Partner with the expert for the best care.
Bolognia JL, et al. Dermatology. . Mosby Elsevier, Spain, 2008:
Bunker, CB. Diseases of the male genitalia:654-75.
Torgerson RK, Edwards L. Diseases and disorders of the female genitalia:675-83.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention . Parasites Enterobiasis. Page last updated January 13, 2013. Last accessed September 25, 2018.
Chi CC, Kirtschig G, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on topical interventions for genital lichen sclerosus. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012 67:305-12.
Paek SC, Merritt DF, et al. Pruritus vulvae in prepubertal children. J Am Acad Dermatol 2001 44: 795-802.
How To Clean Someone’s Groin Area
Allow the person to do as much of the cleaning as possible. Give the person privacy if they are safe to be alone. In some cases, you will need to do the bathing.
When you are cleaning someone’s groin area, explain what you are doing. Let the person know that you’re making sure they don’t have rashes. And only uncover the area that you’re cleaning. This may help the person feel more comfortable.
Wash and dry your hands well before you begin. You don’t have to wear gloves, but it might be a good idea if the person has had diarrhea. And it’s a good idea to wear a mask if you or the person has an illness that can spread, such as a cold or the flu.
Give the person a washcloth with soap on it for cleaning. Offer another warm, damp washcloth for rinsing. If you are doing the washing, be gentle. Don’t rub the skin. Also, don’t use moisturizers in these areas where skin touches skin.
To clean the male groin area:
- Clean the top and sides of the scrotum. Rinse and pat dry.
To clean the female groin area:
- Turn the washcloth to use a new part of it, and clean in the same motion until the area is clean. Pat dry.
Don’t Miss: What Does Basal Cell Cancer Look Like On The Skin