Tight Clothing Or Chafing
If tight clothes are constantly worn around the genital area, they can chafe or rub against the skin, and lead to dryness. Tight underwear can also lead to a buildup of moisture under your foreskin, which can be a breeding ground for fungus and increase the chance of an infection.
Wear soft, supportive cotton underwear, and looser clothing in light, breathable fabrics.
Can I Continue To Have Sex While Being Treated Penile Redness
Even if you are being treated for balanitis that is NOT caused by infection, still practice caution regarding sexual activity. Many inflammatory causes of penile redness may not be contagious, but they can become easily irritated and worsen with activities such as sex. It is definitely not advisable to continue sexual relations during treatment for infections as there is a high risk of transmission, even with proper condom use.
When To See A Doctor
If your penile redness worsens or persists, you should see a physician. Treatment for penile redness will depend on the cause and may include the following.
- Antibiotics: Your physician will prescribe the appropriate antibiotics if your penile redness is the result of a bacterial infection such as chlamydia or gonorrhea.
- Antifungal medication: Yeast such as candida are fungi that can be treated with topical or systemic medications that your healthcare provider can prescribe.
- Dermatological creams: If your symptoms are caused by a dermatologic skin condition, your physician may prescribe steroid creams or ointments that can help alleviate your symptoms.
- Circumcision: If you are an uncircumcised male who experiences recurrent episodes of penile redness, especially around the glans, your physician may recommend circumcision. The preserved foreskin is more easily susceptible to infection and inflammation, especially if it is not properly taken care of and cleaned.
Also Check: Skin And Cancer Associates Plantation
Causes Of Swollen Scrotum
- Torsion of the Testis . The testicle twists and cuts off its blood supply. It is always painful. Needs to be repaired within 6 to 12 hours to save the testicle. This is why seeing all males with a swollen scrotum is an emergency.
- Hydrocele. Present at birth and both sides usually involved. A hydrocele is a painless sac of fluid sitting on top of the testicle. Present at birth and harmless. It goes away by a year of age.
- Inguinal Hernia. A hernia is a loop of intestine that slides into the scrotum. Any new bulge that comes and goes is a hernia. All hernias need surgery to fix. Most of the time, the repair can be scheduled. If the hernia can’t slide back into the abdomen, emergency surgery is needed.
- Orchitis. This is an infection of the testicle. It is always painful. It’s mainly caused by viruses, such as mumps.
Which Cream Is Best For Rashes In Private Parts
Creams that contain antifungal medications will work best for rashes caused by fungal infections. Rashes caused by bacterial infections will require antibiotic creams. Antihistamines can resolve allergic reactions. For appropriate diagnosis and resolution of your condition, you must consult a doctor before using any medication.
Read Also: What Happens When You Get Melanoma
Other Inflammatory Conditions Of Penile Skin
Other penile skin disorders include psoriasis, penile infections, LS, lichen planus, seborrheic dermatitis, and Zoon balanitis, as described in extensive reviews. These conditions are either much more common in, or totally confined to, uncircumcised males. A total of 34 different conditions, most commonly lichenoid conditions , followed by nonspecific balanitis , eczema and psoriasis , Zoon/plasma cell balanitis , malignancy/premalignant change , and infective conditions , were diagnosed over a 3-year period in 226 men in a clinic in Edinburgh. Penile dermatoses in general have been reported in 20, 5, 3, and 2 times as many uncircumcised as circumcised men. Data on several of the most prominent conditions follow.
Do I Need To See A Doctor
The answer is nearly always, yes. Whilst the irritation may not seem serious enough to warrant a visit to the GP, it is important to get checked. Many of these symptoms are common across a variety of conditions, and so its important to get a proper diagnosis. Its also likely that conditions left untreated get worse the longer you wait, the harder treatment can be. You also want to ensure you do not pass on any infections to sexual partners.
Its impossible to self-diagnose in these circumstances, given the range of causes. Plus, there may be a systemic cause, underlying infection, or STI, which must be treated in order to avoid complications. Sooner is always better when it comes to treatment, so please do not hesitate to make yourself an appointment, and do ask to see a male doctor if you feel more comfortable.
Should I See My Doctor
The Symptom Checker, above, guides you to the next appropriate healthcare steps, whether its self-care, talking to a health professional, going to a hospital or calling triple zero .
Use the healthdirect online Question Builder tool, above, to help prepare for your medical appointment by creating a list of questions to ask your doctor.
Seattle Children’s Urgent Care Locations
If your childâs illness or injury is life-threatening, call 911.
Don’t Miss: Skin Manifestations Of Autoimmune Disease
What Customers Are Saying:
I feel so much better today, and upon further investigation believe that there is a chance that the responses I got saved me from a serious, even life threatening situation. I am very grateful to the experts who answered me.
I can go as far as to say it could have resulted in saving my sons life and our entire family now knows what bipolar is and how to assist and understand my most wonderful son, brother and friend to all who loves him dearly.Thank you very much
Corrie MollPretoria, South Africa
I thank-you so much! It really helped to have this information andconfirmation. We will watch her carefully and get her in for theexamination and US right away if things do not improve. God bless you aswell!
Outstanding response time less than 6 minutes. Answered the question professionally and with a great deal of compassion.
Suggested diagnosis was what I hoped and will take this info to my doctor’s appointment next week.I feel better already! Thank you.
Thank you to the Physician who answered my question today. The answer was far more informative than what I got from the Physicians I saw in person for my problem.
You have been more help than you know. I seriously don’t know what my sisters situation would be today if you had not gone above and beyond just answering my questions.
John and StefanieTucson, AZ
How To Talk With Your Healthcare Provider
When you visit your healthcare provider, these are some questions they might ask about the rash on your penis:
- How long have you had this rash?
- Is there a discharge from your penis?
- Are you sexually active? Do you use condoms?
- Have you recently started using any new products, such as detergent or soap?
- What medications are you taking?
You May Like: What Does Basal Cell Carcinoma Look Like On Face
When To Seek Help
Always check with your doctor if you think you may have contracted an STI, even if your symptoms improve.
Balanitis may be the result of an STI and should also be looked at by a doctor.
- burning during urination
You may be given a patch test to determine if you have skin allergies.
If your doctor suspects you have an STI, you will submit both a urine test and a blood test.
If your doctor suspects a yeast infection, your discharge may be cultured and analyzed under a microscope to help your doctor reach a diagnosis.
You can try at-home treatments as a first line of defense. These may be all you need for issues such as friction, psoriasis, and eczema:
- mild corticosteroid creams or highly emollient creams may eliminate or reduce peeling skin
- replace harsh soaps or cleaning detergents with mild, hypoallergenic products
- if you suspect a latex allergy may be causing dermatitis, switch to polyurethane condoms
- try applying an oil, such as organic coconut oil, to the area to act as a skin emollient
- use lubrication or lubricated condoms during sex or masturbation
- use over-the-counter antifungal medications to help eliminate thrush
If at-home treatments are not enough to do the trick, your doctor may prescribe medications, such as steroids.
If you have an STI, your doctor will prescribe the appropriate treatment for you. Treatment may vary based on the length of time youve been infected and your symptoms.
Your Condoms And Lube
If you experience itching, redness and swelling down below right after sex, you could be allergic to your condoms and/or lube.
Spermicides and other harsh ingredients in condoms and lubes can trigger an allergic reaction. Using condoms and lubes for sensitive skin may help solve the problem.
According to a 2016 study published in the Journal of Occupational Health, latex allergies affect less than five percent of the general population
Still, that doesnt mean you arent one of the unlucky few who has a latex allergy.
Try using latex-free condoms for a while to see if it helps any.
You May Like: What Happens If You Get Skin Cancer