Hair Loss Caused By Genetics
Sometimes genetics can also be a factor behind hair loss in dogs. For example, the American Hairless Terrier, Whippet, and Grey Hound are dogs that are prone to localized baldness, mainly on the back of the hind legs, armpits, around the ear bases, and very top of the head .
Coat color genetics also can play a role in hair loss. The dilute coat colors have a genetic mutation in the D gene locus for hair growth and produce large clumps of pigment . These clumps can prematurely cause breakage of the hair shafts resulting in alopecia and a thin hair coat.
Different Skin Problems In Dogs
Getting to the bottom of your dogs skin problem is something best left for the veterinarian to diagnose. However, its good for pet owners to understand common skin problems. Here is a guide to the most common conditions. Whether your vet has diagnosed your pet or not, its best to get your dog to their checkup so the experts can advise on an effective treatment plan.
And Over 100 Other Survival Foods And Forgotten Preservation Methods That You Can Choose From And Add To Your Stockpile
Youâll also find out how to feed yourself for a whole month using just $100 at Walmart, the wild-growing superfoods that almost nobody knows about, the ins and out of canning both vegetables and meat safely for 20 years, how to prevent your foods from going rancid, seven deadly canning mistakes to avoid like the plague, how to make yourself a $20 DIY Food Bucket better than anything on the market today and the best 50 foods to dehydrate for your food stockpile.
With this book on your shelf, you can banish all fears of starvation for good.
And there is even more. Because if you act right now, youâll also get: two other reports for FREE.
Don’t Miss: How Long Can You Have Melanoma Before It Spreads
How To Tell If Your Dog Has A Hot Spot
An initial visual examination may reveal a hot spot. It could be flaking, redness of the skin, or inflammation . At its worst, it could be an oozing lesion with blood, pus, and a bad smell.In severe cases, it is best to consult a vet for a more scientific way of diagnosing the problem. Your vet may use the following techniques to diagnose the issue:
- Impression smear for cytological evaluation
- Skin scraping or skin culture
- Specific allergy testing
Apple Cider Vinegar For Itchy Dogs
- Apple cider vinegar is a natural, safe soother for especially dry, itchy skin. The antiseptic and antifungal nature of apple cider vinegar makes it a great form of relief from poison ivy but NOT on raw or opened skin. If your dog has itched their skin raw, this solution will sting the exposed wound.
- To avoid getting vinegar in any open cuts, fill a spray bottle with 50% water and 50% apple cider vinegar to target affected areas. If your dog walked through a patch of poison ivy, oak, or sumac, soak their paws in the solution for up to five minutes.
Read Also: What Is Carcinoma In Situ
Natural Cures For All Diseases Top Five Home Remedies For Common Illnesses
Did you know that Natural cures exist for most common diseases? Its true! These methods are safe and effective, but also very affordable. But are they right? Here are some things you should keep in mind. You can try them at home! Learn more about what they are, and how they work. Theyll also be popular. Continue reading to learn the top five home remedies that treat common ailments.
Home Remedies And All Types Of Practical Medicine
Complementary and Alternative Medicine includes home remedies and other natural wellness solutions. These methods are based on beneficial herbs and plants found in nature. These methods do not replace traditional medical treatment, but they can help those who dont have it. Here are some remedies you might try:
Read Also: Will Basal Cell Carcinoma Kill You
Causes Of Black Skin In Dogs:
The cause of canine black skin disease is unknown. Variousfactors havebeen suspected for causing the condition, like that of allergies,parasites, infective agents and many more, but the imbalance ofhormones, especially growth hormones is hypothesized as the cause.Black skin in dogs is actually a collective term for a hyper pigmentedcoatand alopecia in dogs. Research shows thatmost dogs affectedwith hypothyroidismhad developed dog black skin more often. Similarly, few casesreported darkened skin as a symptom of skin allergy and atopic allergy.Progressive darkening of the skin may also occur as a result of skincancer, Cancerous cells which increase in number are associated with achange in skin pigment. This condition occurs lessfrequently in dogs butshould be considered when evaluating black skin.
Try Apple Cider Vinegar
Organic, raw, unfiltered apple cider offers many benefits to dogs suffering from allergies. If your dog has hot spots or itchy skin, you can apply a 50/50 solution of apple cider vinegar and water to your dog. Put the solution in a spray bottle for easy use. This same spray will help repel fleas and ticks a common allergen for many dogs. You can also use it to clean out your dogs ears. The acidity of the mixture makes for an environment that yeast cant live in and yeast infections are typically caused by allergies. Make sure that the acidity isnt too strong for your dog some prefer a different mixture than the 50/50 suggested.
Also Check: How Long Before Melanoma Metastasis
Other Signs Your Dog Has Malassezia
Malassezia isnt always so obvious. Here are a few more subtle signs you may notice:
- Sweet, yeasty smell
- Brown crud on the top border of the toenail
- Dark grey-black patch on the skin
- Reddened groin area
- Red inflamed areas under the folds of the front or rear legs.
- Thickened ear flaps with an orange peel texture inside the flap along with very itchy ears and brown ear secretions
Pomeranian Black Skin Disease Treatment
Even though its simple to observe the symptoms of Pomeranian BSD, its essential that you eliminate all possible causes of hair loss in Pomeranians.
Hair loss in Pomeranian dogs can be caused by many different Pomeranian skin conditions. The first step in Pomeranian black skin disease treatment is to rule as many causes as possible.
You May Like: When To Check Moles For Skin Cancer
Treating An Adrenal Imbalance: Lysodren And Trilostane
Lysodren, an is usually selected to treat Cushing’s disease, where the adrenal gland produces too many cortisone-type hormones.
Lysodren erodes the adrenal glands outer layers to control how much cortisone is produced.
If the adrenal gland becomes over-eroded, electrolyte imbalances can happen which may become being permanent .
The adrenal gland also creates sex hormones so Lysodren aids Alopecia X as its able to prevent the hormones being produced by eroding the section that creates them.
Alopecia X Pomeranians may not have Cushings disease or excessive amounts of cortisone.
Therefore, if you treat your dog with Lysodren, he may end up with a cortisone deficiency and/or the more serious issue – Addisons disease, an adrenal gland deficiency.
Signs of a reaction to Lysodren may include diarrhea, vomiting, and listlessness. Your dog should have regular blood tests to manage the levels of cortisone while hes on Lysodren.
Cushings disease can also be treated with Trilostane. Trilostane is an FDA-approved treatment of Cushing disease . Its also handy for Alopecia X if the dog has adrenal gland hyperplasia.
However, its critical to remember that this drug can also lead to a dangerously low level of adrenal steroids. It has been shown to help regrow hair in some cases, despite the potential risks.
What Are Some Of The Causes Of Hot Spots
Hot spots are usually caused by constant licking and scratching by your pet. Any of the following underlying causes may prompt continuous licking and scratching:
- Parasites and mites
- Stress or boredom resulting in excessive licking
- A coat that is dirty or matted
- Moisture trapped in the coat from swimming or bathing
Regardless of the cause, it is the cycle of constant licking and scratching that causes self-trauma to the skin this, in turn, eventually causes lesions and open wounds, which are further exposed to possible infection and complications if not immediately attended to and treated. If serious infection occurs your vet may recommend an antibiotic like Cephalexin.
Don’t Miss: What Kind Of Doctor Treats Melanoma
Acupuncture For Autoimmune Dermatoses
Recent systematic reviews indicate that acupuncture is a feasible, effective, and relatively safe therapy for humans with psoriasis.4,7,8 Acupuncture involves insertion of fine needles to stimulate specific points on defined channels and thereby provide therapeutic effects such as relief of pain, inflammation, and pruritus via neuromodulation and immunomodulation.2-4 The parasympathetic effects of vagus nerve stimulation may be another pathway that leads to the potent anti-inflammatory properties of acupuncture.5 Promisingly, new findings clearly show that vagus nerve stimulation produces a systemic anti-inflammatory effect, which makes it a good target for bioelectronic treatment of autoimmune conditions.6
Cancer As A Systemic Disease
Cancer is systemic. This means it affects the whole body.
For example, if your dog has a malignant melanoma, you may see the tumor itself but you cant see how the cancer is affecting the rest of your dogs body.
So, when you choose to remove a tumor, youre just removing one part of the problem. Thats why tumors often come back, especially with skin cancer.
Theres something else at work thats causing the problem to begin with. Cancer in your dog means his immune system isnt working as well as it should. So you need to support the whole body.
How can you do that?
- Stop using heartworm drugs.
- If you must spay or neuter, wait until maturity, and do an ovary-sparing spay or vasectomy if possible.
- Avoid chemicals in your dogs environment. This includes household cleaners and pesticides.
Your attitude towards cancer also plays a role. Changing your perspective on cancer can make a big difference. Cancer is not a death sentence. Your emotions can have a significant impact on how happy and healthy your dog is.
Read Also: Best Foundation For Dark Skin
Proper Bathing & Grooming
This might not seem like a natural remedy, but if your dog suffers from environmental allergies, frequent bathing and grooming is going to offer much needed comfort. Using soothing ingredients such as oatmeal in the shampoos will help your dogs skin feel softer and will relieve the itching they feel. Depending on the severity of your dogs allergies, bathing once a week will greatly improve your dogs condition. Brushing and combing will also help remove dead skin and coat, promoting new growth and removing allergens on top of the skin and fur.
Natural Remedies For Cleaning Dog Wounds: Overview
1. Clean cuts, abrasions, or wounds with skin-soothing herbal teas or an herb-vinegar rinse.
2. Spray or apply skin-healing hydrosols, essential oil blends, salves, or other topical products that stimulate cell growth, fight infection, and speed repair.
3. Give your dog enzymes and other supplements that help heal wounds from the inside.
4. Keep natural first-aid products on hand to treat bites, cuts, scrapes, and other wounds as soon as they occur.
Your dog just had surgery, stepped on broken glass, caught her tail in a door, has a puncture wound, got bit or scratched, tangled with barbed wire, or has an abrasion that came from who knows where. You want the wound to heal quickly without bleeding, pain, or infection. The following strategies help with cleaning dog wounds.
Read Also: Studio Makeup Flawless Skin Foundation
Stages Of Black Skin Disease Pomeranian Hair Loss
- Hell start having odd patches that look different to the rest of his fur or his coat may appear very dry, dull and dead looking. Usually the first signs of coat loss problems begin with thinning tail coat and areas on the back legs.
- The patches will get thinner and increase with time.
- Over time his fur will keep falling out until there are parts with no fur on his body, at all and you can only see his skin.
- The last stage of BSD is when he has lost most or all of his fur, usually the hair on the dogs head and legs remain with a few wispy hairs on his body and tail. His skin will be black.
Coconut Oil For Itchy Dogs
If you have been asking yourself, “What can I give my dog for itchy skin if nothing else is working?” then coconut oil may just be the perfect remedy for your pup. Its high viscosity immediately soothes, while its other components help to calm the skin right away.
- The best oils for dogs are those that offer the kind of viscous protection needed to create a natural barrier between angry skin and the environment. For this reason, coconut oil is among the best oils for canine skin, which is why so many products for pups use it as a key ingredient.
- Many natural beauty products now contain coconut oil because of its antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is also an excellent moisturizer for canines, as the oils can penetrate fur for direct contact with the skin. Dogs who are suffering from eczema, allergies, yeast infections, and even insect bites and stings can all benefit from direct application of coconut oil.
- Put coconut oil in the fridge or a cool, dry place so it turns completely solid. For quick relief to dry skin, massage the oil into the coat and on the skin of your dog. Over time, you’ll notice your dogs coat improving, along with relief from constant itching!
Read Also: What Does Skin Cancer Look Like On Your Skin
Say No To Immune Suppressing Drugs
I specialize in treating allergies. So Ive treated many patients whove been given Apoquel . Theyve been incorrectly diagnosed with allergies when they actually have a simple overgrowth of yeast.
Again, its far more common to see a combination of allergies with concurrent Malassezia. They play off each other and create a more intense itch.
The bottom line is that skin problems in dogs are epidemic. Younger and younger dogs are succumbing to both allergies and yeast or yeast alone.
I predict that the reckless use of these new allergy drugs will produce next-generation dogs that have even more problems. Steroids like prednisone are meek and mild when compared to the damage Atopica and Apoquel do.
The Long Lasting Probiotic That Fueled The Greatest Conquests Of The Golden Horde
Youâll also discover the superfood that helped the Mongol hordes of Genghis Khan march all the way to the gates of Vienna.
Besides preventing nutrient deficiencies, this food is also one of the best natural probiotic you can getâone that will counteract eating processed food like MREs.
This raw superfood was also adopted by the Royal British Navy at the end of the 17th century and has prevented countless deaths from scurvy since that time.
You May Like: Soap For Sensitive Itchy Skin
Oatmeal Bath For Itchy Dogs
- Oatmeal is an age-old remedy for our dry, itchy skin that happens to be safe for use on our canine friends too! In fact, most doggy hypoallergenic shampoos include oatmeal as an active ingredient to soothe and fight irritation.
- Start by grinding plain oatmeal into a powder to sprinkle in your dogs warm bath. The oatmeal will typically take 10 to 15 minutes to cool down red, angry skin, no matter the cause. It is also nontoxic, so its okay if your pet licks some off during their long bath. If this sounds like a long time for your pup to be in the tub without a struggle, try some of our techniques to Curb Bath Time Fears.
- Another option to avoid a full-on bath is to make an oatmeal paste. Take your ground oatmeal and gradually add a little bit of water until you are left with a paste that has a spreadable consistency. Target spots that have been bothering your dog and make sure the paste is in contact with the skin on longer-haired dogs for maximum relief.
Vitamin E Oil For Healthy Skin
Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps fight aging, says Dr. Judy Morgan, a holistic veterinarian based in New Jersey. While your dog couldnt care less about maintaining her youthful glow, she can still benefit from Vitamin E oil. Morgan says it adds protection against UV radiation, which is especially beneficial if your dog spends a lot of time outdoors.
It can also be used to moisturize your companions dry skin. Morgan recommends massaging Vitamin E oil on your dogs coat. Vitamin E capsules can also be broken open and used on warts, calluses, or dry spots, she says, adding that there is no cause for concern if your pet licks off the small amount of the oil.
Recommended Reading: Ipl Skin Rejuvenation Before And After
Internal Supplements To Accelerate Your Dogs Healing Process
Several vitamins and minerals are known to have healing properties, but zinc is especially important for wound healing. Supplementing the diet with a product like Standard Process Dermal Support, which contains zinc and other skin-healing ingredients from whole-food sources, provides the body with easily assimilated nutrients that help repair damaged tissue.
Zinc and other trace minerals are found in unrefined sea salt. Salts electrolytes and the enzymes they help produce are important to healthy immune function, rapid wound healing, adrenal health, and the regulation of bodily fluids. Add up to 1/8 teaspoon unrefined sea salt per 25 pounds of body weight per day to food.
High-quality protein is essential for wound healing and for the repair of damaged fur and skin. Seacure, a deep-sea fermented whitefish powder, is predigested so that its amino acids and peptides, the building blocks of skin and hair, are immediately absorbed and utilized. The product is available in chewable dog-treat tabs and as a powder as well as in 500-mg capsules.
To help dogs recover from surgery, cuts, wounds, broken bones, or other trauma injuries, give at least twice the labels recommended maintenance dose of 1 capsule, 1 tablet, or ¼ teaspoon powder per 10 pounds of body weight.
Freelance writer CJ Puotinen is the author of The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care and many other books.