What Are The Types Of Excess Skin Removal Procedures
There are several different procedures for removing excess skin. Most people need a combination of surgeries to get the look they seek. Your doctor can help determine which procedures will benefit you the most.
Excess skin removal procedures include:
- Arm lift to remove excess skin that hangs down from your upper arm.
- Breast lift to firm up breasts by tightening tissue and removing excess skin.
- Facelift to give your face a smoother, younger appearance and get rid of excess skin around your neck.
- Lower body lift to remove excess skin and fat from your stomach, butt and outer thighs.
- Panniculectomy to remove the apron of excess skin that hangs below your belly button.
- Thigh lift to give your inner thighs a sleeker appearance.
- Tummy tuck to remove excess skin and tighten weak or separated abdominal muscles.
How To Get Rid Of Excess Skin
If you suffer from saggy skin, you may have both physical and emotional concerns:
- Physical discomfort as a result of your excess skin interfering with normal activity
- Reduced mobility and the ability to exercise
- Skin irritation, such as infections, rashes and ulcers
- Low self-esteem and poor body image
Thankfully, if you are suffering from excess skin after weight loss, there are several options available to you in order to improve your symptoms:
The aim of body-contouring surgery is to remove a large amount of excess skin and fat. During the procedure, a large incision will be made, and you will experience minimal scarring.
When it comes to considering loose skin surgery, there are several different options available to you. The main types of body contouring surgery are:
- Tummy tuck : Where saggy skin is removed from the abdomen.
- Lower-body lift: Where loose skin is removed from the stomach, buttocks, hips and thighs.
- Breast lift: Where excess skin is removed from the breasts and back.
- Thigh lift: Where saggy skin is removed from the inner and outer thighs.
- Arm lift : Where loose skin is removed from the upper arms.
Following body contouring surgery, you will usually need to stay in hospital for one to four days, before recovering at home for two to four weeks. Although having loose skin surgery can help to improve your quality of life, it is also important to be aware of complications that could occur as a result of the surgery, like bleeding and infections.
If You Are Wondering How To Tighten Skin After Weight Loss These 5 Tips Can Help You Improve The Appearance Of Your Skin And Get Rid Of This Problem
|Listen to this article|
You may dream of having a tighter, more toned figure while you work hard to shed a few pounds. But if you end up with saggy skin after a significant amount of weight loss, youre bound to feel a tad upset. Losing weight to manage obesity can considerably decrease your chance of developing various diseases. However, it sometimes leads to loose skin.
This is a pretty common side effect of weight loss. In fact, up to 70 percent of those who undergo bariatric surgery may also experience it, according to a review published by PubMed Central and the National Center for Biotechnology Information. Even though this can be normal and not an indication of a concern, it can nonetheless be uncomfortable and make your skin appear older. So, how to tighten skin after weight loss? Lets find out.
Health Shots spoke to Dr Rinky Kapoor, Consultant Dermatologist, Cosmetic Dermatologist and Dermato-Surgeon, The Esthetic Clinics, to suggest some best ways to overcome this skin issue due to weight loss.
Dr Kapoor says, Apart from the cosmetic factors, maintaining a healthy weight also brings with it many health benefits such as good heart and metabolism and a glowing skin. There is only one side effect of losing weight and that is loose and dull skin.
You May Like: Benefits Of Sauna For Skin
Under Eye Skin Tightening Treatments
Effective topical skin tightening cosmetic products are formulated with ingredients shown to:
- Encourage collagen production
- Slow down collagen degradation and
- Protect against sun damage.
Build Muscle Through Exercise
If you have been hard at work at the gym trying to get to your ideal weight, well done! But thats only step one of the process. Crash diets and excessive cardio can make you lose weight but you also lose muscle which is another reason why you get excess skin. By increasing your mass through resistance training you can prevent muscle wastage and also help to get rid of that loose skin. Some of the best ways to get rid of loose skin after weight loss naturally is through strength training as this will expand your muscles and tighten the skin. High impact training helps to rejuvenate the skin which will in turn help to create elasticity as well as give the skin a more youthful appearance.
Recommended Reading: How Is Basal Cell Carcinoma Diagnosed
Massage With The Right Oil
Massage the area near your eyes with vitamin E oil. Rich in antioxidants, it helps fight the effect of free radicals that are responsible for the signs of aging. Apply a drop of vitamin E oil before bed and gently massage it into the skin. Leave the oil on your skin overnight and wash your face the next morning.
You can also try using coconut oil which is a natural anti-inflammatory agent. It helps in lightening dark circles and reduces swelling around the eyes. Coconut oil also moisturizes your skin and lightens dark spots.
When To See A Doctor
There are certain instances where it would be a good idea to go and see your doctor about your loose skin after weight loss.
For example, if you experience loose stomach skin or loose skin after pregnancy that rubs or chafes , then this can cause skin infections, rashes, pain, ulcers and irritations that can be very sore and uncomfortable.
In addition, if you find that your excess skin causes annoying movement and pain, then you might like to explore your options for compression garments that can be worn underneath your clothing and help to smooth your shape.
There are also a number of psychological and lifestyle issues that you may experience from having loose stomach skin, such as low self-esteem, anxiety, difficulty in doing certain tasks or playing certain sports and not being able to wear certain clothes.
You May Like: How Is Basal Cell Carcinoma Of The Eyelid Treated
Other Easy Remedies To Tighten Skin
Coffee Grounds For Skin Tightening
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
What You Have To Do
1. Lightly warm up the coconut oil to melt it. Let it come down to room temperature. 2. Mix all the other ingredients and add the cooled down coconut oil to the mixture. Mix well. 3. Scrub this gently on your skin in circular motions for a few minutes. 4. Rinse with lukewarm water.
How Often You Should Do This
Use this coffee scrub once or twice a week.
Why This Works
The caffeine present in coffee draws out excess moisture from the skin and eliminates fat deposits, which makes the skin firm and soft. Coffee also contains antioxidants that slow down the skin aging process . The coarse granules of the coffee and sugar exfoliate the skin and also aid in keeping it firm . During this process, the coconut oil will keep the skin hydrated and moisturized.
Witch Hazel For Skin Tightening
What You Have To Do
1. Dip the cotton pad in the witch hazel liquid and apply it on your face and neck in upward strokes. 2. Let it dry for five minutes. Repeat with another round of witch hazel. 3. Do not rinse your face after the application. 4. Also, use this on other parts of your body like your arms, tummy, and other affected areas in the same way.
How Often You Should Do This
This is best done at night before you hit the bed. Repeat this daily.
Why This Works
Aloe Vera Gel For Skin Tightening
Why This Works
Skin Firming Treatments For Legs
After weight loss, saggy skin becomes a significant problem for everyone. And, all those who want quick results go for some treatments or surgeries. The thigh lift surgery can give you some outstanding and unbelievable results but at the same time leave the scars behind.
The treatments remove the excess skin resulting from weight loss or aging. Though surgery is a painful procedure, after this, you can show your thighs to others more confidently in a skirt or shorts.
You May Like: How To Heal Skin Barrier
How To Tighten Skin Under The Eyes: 14 Ways To Improve Sagging Wrinkled Skin
July 30, 2019 By Daniel Mattia
- Loose skin under the eyes is caused by genetics, aging and overexposure to the sun.
- Over time, collagen and elastin, proteins that keep the skin tight and taut, degrade and production of new fibers slows down.
- Topical skin tightening products use ingredients to stimulate new collagen production and protect the skin from further damage.
- More immediate and dramatic results are possible via cosmetic procedures, although at the expense of downtime, side effects and cost.
Genetics and aging are the primary causes of sagging skin under the eyes. As you age, your body slows collagen and elastin production, proteins responsible for giving your skin its elasticity. Damage from the suns ultraviolet radiation and certain lifestyle choices also contribute to excess skin under the eyes. Fortunately, there are many anti-aging products and procedures that help tighten the skin under and around the eyes, giving the face a more youthful appearance.
Using Nutrition And Hydration
Consuming certain nutrients can help in the production of collagen and other essential components of great skin. The essential nutrients include protein, vitamin C, and omega-3 fatty acids. Protein is essential for healthy skin while the amino acids proline and lysine play a significant role in collagen production. Vitamin C helps with collagen synthesis, while omega-3 fatty acids increase skin elasticity. Staying well-hydrated can improve the skins appearance.
Don’t Miss: How Long Until Melanoma Spreads
Other Treatments And Procedures
Topical cosmetics are effective at treating mild skin laxity under the eyes. However, creams and lotions require consistent use and may not be wholly effective at treating more severe cases of sagging skin.
However, there are multiple effective cosmetic and surgical alternatives:
- Dermal fillers are injectable treatments made with hyaluronic acid that can fill in wrinkles and smooth the skin around the eye area.
- Chemical peels dissolve the top layer of skin to stimulate growth of a new, smooth layer of skin.
- Microdermabrasion uses tiny particles to exfoliate and peel away the outer layers of skin to encourage collagen production, resulting in smoother skin.
- Microneedling uses small needles to create microscopic punctures on your skin to stimulate collagen production.
- Radiofrequency and laser skin tightening use heat to trigger the bodys wound healing process to promote collagen production and resurface the skin.
- Blepharoplasty is a form of plastic surgery in which loose skin and fat is removed from the eye area.
Making lifestyle changes can also slow down signs of aging skin. Consider:
Try Using A Cold Compress
Using a cold compress around your eye area can help you ease puffiness and swelling. It is anti-inflammatory in nature that helps to relieve constriction of the blood vessels and provides immediate relief. It further aids in reducing dark circles and eye soreness.
You can use a cold cucumber, a chilled teaspoon, a wet washcloth, a bag of frozen vegetables, or chilled tea bags for this. If you are using an ice pack, then wrap it with a soft cloth to protect your skin from frost bites. Apply this for a few minutes to see the results.
Read Also: Little Dry Patches On Skin
How To Avoid Loose Skin
While you won’t be able to completely prevent loose skin if you’re losing large amounts of weight, losing weight slowly is the best way to avoid excessive sagging.
Most experts recommend aiming for 1 to 2 pounds a week, which translates to 4 to 8 pounds per month. This will help you lose more fat than muscle and will allow your skin to adjust as you lose weight.
How To Prevent Saggy Skin During Weight Loss
Naturally, a concern of many guests is preventing excess or sagging skin after losing a sizable amount of body fat and weight. One of the key things to keep in mind when working toward your weight loss goal is to shed the pounds gradually.
The general recommendation is to lose 1 to 2 pounds a week, which translates to 4 to 8 pounds per month, said Lizbeth.
When you go slowly, you burn fat while building muscle. And as our experts have explained, losing weight steadily can increase your metabolic rate, rather than slowing it. This heightened metabolic rate actually helps you to shed pounds that will stay off in the long term.
Cardio and weight training are both required if your goal is to lose weight, get lean and toned, said Lizbeth. Cardio is more effective at burning calories and weight loss, while weight training is more effective at building lean muscle mass.
However, if youre just doing cardio, youll risk losing lean muscle mass, she explained. This can result in saggy skin and also impact your metabolism.
To keep your metabolism at a decent level, it is important to keep up with a weight training routine, Lizbeth explained. This typically leads to a higher calorie burn throughout the day. Weight training maintains muscle mass, protects and shapes your muscle.
At Pritikin, we provide you with the education, the expertise and the tools to help you reach safe, permanent weight-loss.
You May Like: What Happens If Basal Cell Skin Cancer Goes Untreated
How Do I Get Rid Of Loose Skin After Weight Loss
Golero / Getty Images
If you have been successful in losing a large amount of weight, you may have loose skin. You are not alone as loose or saggy skin is a common problem after losing a large amount of weight in a short period of time. In time, you may see improvements in your skin’s elasticity, but some people may require surgery to remove excess skin.1
Factors That Influence The Loss Of Skin Elasticity After Weight Loss
Your skin needs elasticity to bounce back to its original shape and size after being flexed. When you lose weight, the skin will be looser in some spots than in others because the fat is distributed unevenly underneath your skin. This loss of elasticity can have an impact on your appearance and body image after weight loss since it takes a lot of work to keep things looking good!
Read Also: What Does Skin Cancer Start Out Looking Like
How To Remove Saggy Thigh Skin
You cannot reduce the fat from any specific part to get the smooth thighs, you need to reduce the overall weight of your body. So, if you have saggy skin on your legs, you must do some challenging and intense exercise daily. And, in this regard, cardiovascular exercises seem to be the best option.
For instance, you can choose a moderately-intense exercise for about 150 to 300 minutes each day. Without any doubt, this workout will bring some fantastic results for you. But, 75 to 150 minutes can be enough if you do some vigorous exercises. It will play a significant role in weight loss.
There is no need to say that tight and smooth skin always gives you a youthful appearance. And, this is why people try their best and take every possible step to keep the skin tight. But what if the skin becomes saggy and loose? So, what will you do for saggy skin on thighs?
It is entirely understandable how undesirable loose skin on thighs and buttocksis for every one of us. And if you want to do something about this problem, stop searching for how to tighten skin above knees. Follow the exercises and other physical activities just mentioned over here!
Many Ways To Firm Sagging Skin
A surgical lift, such as a facelift or eyelid surgery, will give you the most dramatic results, but youll find plenty of other skin-tightening options. These other options offer less downtime and lower cost. Another perk: Many can be used on just about any part of your body that needs a lift.
Heres the lowdown on your other options.
Recommended Reading: How Does Skin Cancer Feel
Anibolx Extreme Muscle Building & Workout Amplifier 30
3. Eat Healthy Foods to Tighten Loose Skin:
Eating healthy food can aid in the quick recovery from your sagging condition and have a healthy body. You should eat a healthy diet rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Also, fruits and vegetables have nutrients beneficial to the skin and overall health. However you have to avoid food that is high in sugar.
4. LemonLemon contains vitamin C which helps boost collagen production that helps in restoring elasticity to our skin. Lemon also has astringent properties that help tighten the skin and reduce wrinkles and other signs of premature aging.
Rub the extracted lemon juice gently on your face and neck. Leave it on for five to 10 minutes and then rinse your face with water. Do this two or three times a day and follow up with a good-quality moisturizer.
You can also add the juice of half a lemon to a cup of cold water. Splash this mixture on your freshly washed face. Allow the lemon water to air dry on your face. Follow this remedy once or twice daily for best results.
5. CucumberCucumber is best to firm skin and to tighten sagging skin. Grind half a cucumber and squeeze to remove the juice. Rub the cucumber juice on your face and leave to dry.
Then wash with water and pat dry. It helps refresh and tighten your skin, and also reduce large pores. It can be applied on the skin around the eyes to get rid of under eye wrinkles, crows feet, dark circles, and puffiness under eyes.
Woman Holding Cucumber Slices over Eyes