Other Causes Of Skin Discoloration
Other conditions and medical treatments that can cause skin discoloration include:
- Bleeding into the skin.This happens when blood vessels burst due to injury, bruising, or an allergic reaction.
- Radiation therapy.Radiation therapy is a cancer treatment that can cause the skin to blister, itch, and peel.
- Spider veins. Damaged veins that can appear as clusters of red, blue, or purple lines underneath your skin, particularly in your legs.
- Hormonal changes. Hormonal changes may cause the development of melasma hyperpigmentation.
- Burns. Skin discoloration can occur from burns such as those associated with injuries and sunburns.
- Medication side effects. Drug-induced hyperpigmentation may occur in some people taking antibiotics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , and other drugs.
You should schedule an appointment with a doctor if you:
- have any lasting changes in your skin color
- notice a new mole or growth on your skin
- have an existing mole or growth that changed in size or appearance
- have any other concerning symptoms, such as pain, inflammation, or discharge
At your appointment, your doctor will first take a look at areas of skin discoloration and ask you about any changes youve noticed. They will also ask about other symptoms you may be experiencing.
- blood tests to check for conditions that may cause changes in skin color
How Is Seborrheic Keratosis Treated
Prior to the recent FDA approval of ESKATA, the latest seborrheic keratosis treatment, this condition was primarily treated using cryotherapy , chemical peels, or lasers. The main concern with all of these methods is that there that these treatments could cause scabs that take 3 to 8 weeks to heal and often take 2-5 times to see results.
ESKATA, the newly FDA-approved seborrheic keratosis treatment, is a 40% hydrogen peroxide gel that your dermatologist will apply directly to your skin using a pen-like applicator. It can be applied every month for optimal results. The average lesion requires 1-2 treatments. After the treatment the skin will look red. Within a day or two a scab will format the treatment site. Within a week or two, the scab should fall off and leave behind smooth, pink skin that slowly returns to the normal skin color. With any treatment there is always a risk of skin color changes and scarring. It is important not to pick at your scabs to avoid these issues.
ESKATA will only be available as an in-office treatment, so if you think you could benefit from it, be sure to contact your dermatologist for an evaluation and treatment plan. Look for this new treatment at your dermatologists office as soon as early April.
Is It Just An Age Spot Or Skin Cancer
The potential signs of skin cancer can be identified with the ABCDE acronym:
- A stands for asymmetry. One half looks different than the other.
- B stands for border. If the borders are irregular, jagged or not perfectly round.
- C is for color. Is the color darker, uneven or more than one shade?
- D is for diameter. Is the diameter bigger than a pencil eraser?
- E is for evolving. Have you noticed any changes in size, color or shape over the past few months or weeks? Is it itchy or bleeding?
If you see any of these signs, do not hesitate to ask your healthcare provider or a dermatologist to evaluate it. I always tell my patients better safe than sorry.
Read Also: What Is Invasive Skin Cancer
Melanoma Vs Liver Spots How To Tell The Difference
Melanoma can also appear as patches of darkened skin that look like liver spots . Doctors from the Mayo Clinic say that true age spots are harmless.3 However, having many age spots could put you at greater risk of skin cancer.1
You can tell the difference between age spots and melanoma by observing if the darkened patch of skin changes. Use the ABCDE system to tell the difference between melanoma and liver spots on your skin. Liver spots that become darker or change in appearance should be checked by a doctor.
How Are Dry Skin Patches Diagnosed
If you have dry patches of skin, your doctor will probably conduct an exam and ask about your medical and family history.
Theyll likely refer you to a dermatologist. A dermatologist is a doctor who specializes in skin issues.
Depending on the possible condition, you might need lab tests or skin biopsies.
You may be able to help prevent dry, itchy skin by doing the following:
- Use moisturizers every day to keep skin hydrated.
- Limit baths and showers to no more than one a day.
- Limit the time you spend bathing.
- Avoid hot baths or showers. Instead, take showers and baths in warm or lukewarm water
- Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air in your home.
- Use moisturizing body and hand soap.
- Cover up your skin, especially in cold or sunny weather.
- Avoid itching or rubbing your dry skin.
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
You May Like: How To Treat Skin Cancer
Which Skin Type Are You
Skin type is described by the Fitzpatrick classification , which determines the colour of skin by phototype, which depends on the amount of melanin pigment in the skin.
In this article we describe skin as lighter or darker.
Skin types: Fitzpatrick classification, adapted from:
Skin changes are caused either by active eczema or by scratching as a result of eczema itch. These changes can result in two types of pigmentary skin changes in eczema:
- HYPO-PIGMENTATION Loss of skin pigment or colour, usually seen as patches of skin that are lighter than overall skin tone.
- HYPER-PIGMENTATION Patches of skin becoming darker than the normal skin tone.
Hypo- and hyper-pigmentation are more visible in darker skin types but can occur in any skin type and can be concerning and distressing for anyone with eczema.
The main way of improving skin pigmentation changes is to treat the underlying eczema and inflammation. But discoloration can last for months or years, even after the eczema is treated.
Our Guide To The Many Causes Of Scaly Skin Will Help You Pinpoint Your Problemand Identify The Steps You Can Take To Fix It
Dry skin can happen to anyone, but because your skin loses its ability to retain water as you age, it’s more common as you get older. Additionally, dry skin can crop up anywhere, but some parts of the bodylike the extremities, which don’t have as many oil glands as the faceare more prone to becoming parched.
For a whole host of reasonscold weather, indoor heat, hot water, aggressive washing, and agingskin can allow moisture to escape. When the water content drops below a certain point, your skin becomes dry, scaly, and itchy.
Here are conditions that may be responsible for your dry skin as well as some remedies for them.
Also Check: What Is Mohs Surgery For Basal Cell Carcinoma
Nutrition For Vibrant Skin
You do not need to wait till a particular age to begin intensively engaging in your appeal you require to love and safeguard your skin from a young age.
The most crucial factor for maintaining the health, appeal, and youthfulness of the skin of the face is nutrition: our skin receives the most important nutrition from the within to start with, and just then perceives cosmetics and other caring treatments.
Even if you do not have time, and you are actively busy at work, stop eating buns, sandwiches, chocolates, cola, and ready-made meals from the shop otherwise, you can ignore youth and a healthy skin.
To preserve the youthfulness of the skin of the face, handle to eat fresh dairy products, fresh fruits, veggies, consume juices, berry fruit beverages, tidy water, good green tea. When cooking in the house, select foods that keep all of their natural health and purity they can be found today.
Skin aging is slowed down by anti-oxidants, vitamins A and E these are unrefined veggie oils, fatty fish, eggs, liver, avocados, nuts, and seeds.
The smoothness of the skin is preserved by sulfur consume onions and garlic added to snacks and salads zinc keeps the skin soft and soft these are pumpkin seeds, liver, oysters, sardines, and so on.
Iron, which is required to maintain skin tone, is found in lots of foods, but most of all in boiled shellfish, molasses, wheat bran veal, chicken and lamb liver cocoa powder, sesame seed, parsley, celery, apples. Kollagen Intensiv Buy
Can Seborrheic Keratosis Develop Skin Cancer
No, seborrheic keratosis never turns into any type of skin cancer.
However, your dermatologist may ask you to perform a biopsy to just confirm its diagnosis and make sure that it is seborrheic keratosis, not skin melanoma.
Nevertheless, generally, you do not have to worry about it and make sure that it is a common skin condition.
The removal of seborrheic keratosis could be done in various ways if you feel discomfort with it or if you find that seborrheic keratosis grows quickly, turns black, itches, or bleeds, making it difficult to distinguish from skin cancer.
On the other hand, you can also leave it if you can deal with it and you do not face any kind of problems.
Recommended Reading: Best Sunscreen For Indian Skin
How To Keep Your Skin Younger Dark Rough Spots On Skin
Every woman wishes to preserve younger skin as long as possible, although not everybody admits this. Nevertheless, with age, we do not become more lovely and fresher: the skin begins to fade and fade, wrinkles, bags, and bruises appear under the eyes, and I no longer wish to admire myself in the mirror, as it was before.
It is rather possible to protect the youthfulness of the skin of the face as long as possible. For this, you require to consume right, secure the skin from the unfavorable results of ultraviolet rays from the sun, take care of the skin day-to-day and do a massage. Dark Rough Spots On Skin
How Is Skin Discoloration Treated
Treatment for discolored skin patches depends on the underlying cause. If a healthcare professional finds an underlying health condition, they will attempt to treat that particular condition first.
Any active infection must be treated with the appropriate class of drugs. For example, antibiotics can treat bacterial infections, while antifungal medications treat fungal infections.
If you choose to seek treatment for cosmetic reasons, a dermatologist may recommend over-the-counter or prescription topical treatments to reduce signs of skin discoloration. Professional treatments, such as chemical peels or microdermabrasion, may also be used to help reduce hyperpigmentation, but these arent usually covered by insurance.
Its important to ask your doctor before trying any topical treatments or home remedies that supposedly treat skin discoloration. You should always get a correct diagnosis first.
Face Security Is Obligatory
To keep your skin younger, make sure to secure your skin from the sun do not be lazy to do this so that later you will not need to regret it.
The face is the most unguarded part of the body due to the fact that the sun always affects it, and not just on the beach in summer as on the skin of the body. Even on a cloudy day, do not forget to use sunscreen today, such creams also perfectly moisturize the skin. Furthermore, when purchasing a day cream, take note of whether it contains sun blocks or not.
In order not to fade eyebrows, you can dye them prior to a vacation or utilize an unique protective gel. Kollagen Intensiv Buy
Eyelashes and eyes are usually secured by glasses go with unique glasses that block UV rays and know that they do not have to be expensive.
Gloss can be applied to the lips with an SPF filter today, it is produced by numerous popular companies. There is even a protective lipstick that safeguards and moisturizes lips.
How To Tell The Difference Between Sk And Moles
Seborrheic keratosis often resembles other common skin lesions, such as moles, actinic keratosis, and even melanomas. The main characteristic that sets them apart, though, is that SK typically has a waxy, warty look and a rough texture whereas other skin lesions tend to be smoother and more uniform in texture . SKs develop at the surface of the skin and can be picked and scratched off in many cases. However, they rapidly regrow if not removed properly.
These are SK Lesions Because SK can be so difficult to distinguish from other potentially more harmful skin lesions, you should see your dermatologist if you notice any major changes to moles or SKs just to be sure.
Recommended Reading: Can You Die From Melanoma Skin Cancer
What Else Should I Know
Skin areas with acanthosis nigricans can look dirty, but theyre not. Scrubbing the skin does not help and can irritate it. Gently clean the skin and dont use bleaches, skin scrubs, or over-the-counter exfoliating treatments.
Eating a healthy diet and getting regular physical activity can help lower insulin levels and improve skin appearance. It can help to:
- Eat whole grains and plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Drink water or low-fat milk instead of soda, juice, or other sugary drinks.
- Limit highly processed foods, fatty foods, and sugary treats.
- Be physically active every day.
Home Remedies To Avoid
People may wish to keep in mind that many of the home remedies that webpages recommend may have side effects or no evidence of effectiveness. Examples include lemon and apple cider vinegar. No studies back the claims that these treatments work.
In some cases, unproven treatments may aggravate the skin. For example, the American Society for Dermatological Surgery do not recommend lemon juice or abrasive scrubs, as these methods could make dark spots worse.
Some skin lightening products can do more harm than good. Many contain ingredients that can harm the skin or overall health, such as mercury or steroids. Applying these can cause pimples, rashes, and fragile skin over time.
A doctor or dermatologist can often work out the cause of dark spots on the skin by examining them and taking a medical history.
During a physical exam, the healthcare professional might perform a Woods lamp skin exam, where they view the spots through a special device that emits black light.
In some instances, specific characteristics of a spot might require more tests to make sure skin cancer is not causing the spot.
Anyone can develop dark spots on the skin. Certain risk factors appear to increase a persons chances including:
- sun exposure
Recommended Reading: What Is Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Breast Cancer
Treatment Of Dark Patches On Face
- Apply Castor Oil: It has a strong healing ability and is an effective method for getting rid of dark patches and spots. You should apply it at least twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. Soothingly massage on the affected areas using a cotton cloth for a few minutes. If you continually repeat this process, you will start observing the dramatic disappearance of the dark patches within a few months.
- Onion and Vinegar: Make a mixture of onion juice and vinegar and apply to the affected area twice every day. The acidic reaction between onion and vinegar will gradually bleach out the dark patches.
- Lemon: Lemon juice has a bleaching ability that will eliminate the dark patches and tone the affected area with the rest of your skin. Apply the juice directly to the affected area and give it about 30 minutes before wiping off. Do this at least twice a day for a minimum of 2 months for notable improvements. If your skin is very sensitive to lemon juice, dilute it with water or honey and apply directly. Else, you can add some sugar in lemon juice and apply the content on the dark patched area.
- Melanin: Melanin is the compound that determines your skin color and reduction in its production results to brown or light patches. Hydroquinone works by inhibiting the production of the enzyme tyrosinase which shuts down the secretion of melanin. This chemical bleaches brown spots giving you an even skin color tone.
Treatment & Skin Care Routine For Rough Dry Skin
Dry skin is a primary cause of rough spots, and skincare products that moisturize and provide gentle exfoliation can be an effective way to help smooth and soften rough bumpy skin associated with dryness. Hyaluronic acid is a beneficial hydrating ingredient because it helps draw moisture from the environment into the skin.15 In addition, lotions and creams with ceramides help restore the skins barrier to lock in moisture.16Salicylic acid and lactic acid exfoliate the skin by encouraging the shedding of dead skin cells, in turn helping to improve the texture of rough bumpy skin.17, 18 Finally, skincare products formulated with a soothing ingredient like niacinamide can help keep the skin comfortable.19
If exfoliating and hydrating skincare products dont help improve the appearance of dry, rough bumpy skin, or you think your rough skin may be a symptom of another skin condition, its best to seek the help of a dermatologist who can diagnose the cause and suggest additional treatment options.
Normal Mole Looks Like A Dark Spot On The Skin
A raised black spot on your skin could just be a dark growth that is classed as a regular mole or beauty mark. Normal dark moles can grow anywhere on your body like your face, neck, abdomen, or groin.
Dermatologist Dr. Amanda Oakely says that most people have some type of moles on their skin. Moles can be of varying colors, and red moles are not uncommon. Normal moles can also be black or brown skin growths. Some other features of normal moles can be:4
- Dark flat or raised skin spots that range in size from being a tiny black dot to many centimeters across.
- Dark brown or black bumps that can have a flat or uneven surface and may have rough edges.
- Raised dark bumps that appear in groups or clusters.